No gap between songs

Feature requests for VLC.
sayasam
New Cone
New Cone

No gap between songs

Postby sayasam » 02 Jun 2018 12:09

Hi all,

Something midly disturbing I noticed while listening to music albums, is the small, half a second gap between tracks.

This isn't usually an issue since most songs begin and end with some seconds of silence, but they don't all do. Live albums, for exemple.

So, I was wondering if there could be an option (in VLC or using a plugin) that would pre-load the beginning of the next song when playing a playlist. That way, the transition would be perfectly smooth.

Thank you

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: No gap between songs

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jun 2018 13:51

Working on it for 4.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

sayasam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sayasam » 07 Jun 2018 18:09

I love you.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jun 2018 22:36

Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

starstreams
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby starstreams » 04 Mar 2019 02:52

This is a big issue. It's not an issue at all with Foobar2000, so I know it's the player. Is this a problem with the decoder itself that VLC is using?
It's terrible with certain CDs like Pink Floyd The Wall, or my New Age music where one song goes into the other. The brake just sucks. If I wanted to use VLC on a computer doing DJ work for example, this is a deal breaker. It's been over a year since the post above, 4.0 is not out, but I am running 3.0.6 Vetinari. No fix.

Foobar2000 plays the audio files to the very end. I dragged my files into foobar2000 and there were no gaps, just as there are no gaps on the CDs if I play them. But when I play my audio files in my car (mp3's on a flash stick in this case), or my FLAC file versions in VLC player, there is about a 1 second gap where you hear the music get cut.

All lossless files are ripped gapless by default by any ripper that is not broken! After reading a post on dbpoweramp-com https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread ... post161241 I have discovered what the author of a post explains as the dirty "secret" of streaming audio standards. And that is that Digital Living Network Alliance (DNLA) (the standard, and what servio stereos, and your TV are using) is, in a word, almost complete junk. DNLA does not handle gapless natively.

The good news is I know I don't have to Re-Rip all my music again, but I would like VLC to work more like foobar2000 because I like VLC's EQ

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 04 Mar 2019 11:50

Patience, it will be in VLC v4.x but there are no builds with this feature for testing, yet.

starstreams
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby starstreams » 06 May 2019 05:44

well, I won't hold my breath. They said it was going to be in v4.0 a year ago, and if there are no builds addressing this, it's not going to happen for a long time. But to be fair, it is more of a video player, and it's been a great video player.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 May 2019 11:09

well, I won't hold my breath. They said it was going to be in v4.0 a year ago, and if there are no builds addressing this, it's not going to happen for a long time. But to be fair, it is more of a video player, and it's been a great video player.

The patches for this are on the mailing list.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

NOYB
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NOYB » 23 Jun 2019 12:15

Late to the party...
Even Windows Media Player has been track gapless for quite awhile. Even the little free music player that came pre-installed on my Android more that a year ago plays consecutive gap-less tracks seamlessly.

artur4224
New Cone
New Cone

Postby artur4224 » 14 Aug 2019 16:54

The patches for this are on the mailing list.

hi there, can I somehow find this mailing list ? I look for the way to add pause too !!

VLC_Userr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VLC_Userr » 18 Sep 2019 13:19

I too would like to be able to use a gapless VLC Player.
Can anyone possibly provide the fix?
Where is the mailing list?

cassidymi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cassidymi » 02 Apr 2021 23:42

This was never solved was it?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Apr 2021 09:25

nogaplvr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nogaplvr » 11 Apr 2023 10:11

still not available in 2023.
someone do it now, or just shutdown the all app.

natas229
New Cone
New Cone

Postby natas229 » 26 Jun 2023 21:01

VLC has been the best player ever - BUT gapless playback of audio, please, come on... How can you listen to dark side of the moon with a stupid freaking gap between the tracks? It seems this has been a request for ages, please devs, sort it ourt and remain the best, don't become one of those that change everything good and loose the entire user base...

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 29 Jun 2023 16:50

Almost gapless playback (ie. in most cases) is mostly done in https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/ ... equests/94

kraftyman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kraftyman » 21 Aug 2023 22:29

still not available in 2023.
someone do it now, or just shutdown the all app.
I laughed reading this. I am also waiting for gapless playback, since 2019... on AppleTV 4K.
Well, hope it gets sorted out soon.
Cheers.

Wizard of Frobozz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wizard of Frobozz » 26 Aug 2023 23:48

It's a FREE app!!! Don't harass the developers for crissake.
ask for features but if you are just gonna complain go find another app. geeze louise.
the gap is a pet peeve of mine, but they're aware and on it.

Steve Crook
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Steve Crook » 03 Sep 2023 17:47

It may be free, but that doesn't get it a free pass. It's pretty clear (from the developer comments on the problem) that implementing gapless support continues to be incredibly difficult and that it presents some complex problems in a multithreaded environment. But gapless is a fundamental requirement for any music player that wants to be taken seriously...

I have a lot of music that needs gapless support. It's incredibly jarring to listen to it using VLC so I've finally uninstalled VLC and gone elsewhere. I've been using the WACUP version of Winamp which has supported gapless more or less forever. I don't know if I'll return to using VLC or not, it's been handy for video on a PC, but I'm not going to use it for music until I see it supports gapless.

dangerous_sly
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dangerous_sly » 08 Sep 2023 10:59

Hi dev ! and all users.

I came here because the latest chemical brothers album needs gapeless playback :wink: :P .

Yes it's an important feature for an audio player, but no need to get angry against the dev, they work hard for a very long time, and I don't know how we done all our video and audio stuff and montage back in the days (since 2000's ???) without VLC !
Big love to them, too bad for gapeless, but you have all my support, and I'm not alone I'm sure :D :D

we hope one day for such a feat, d'ici là, bon boulot et on continuera à télécharger VLC en premier sur tout nouveau PC qu'on achètera ad vitam !! :lol: (avec chrome juste avant !!)

One of the best software of all time !
keep going dev !

defcon8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby defcon8 » 18 Apr 2024 15:07

We really need this feature! VLC Team! :!:

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”