CTRL-d, Device name and Switch interface..

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
LTar

CTRL-d, Device name and Switch interface..

Postby LTar » 15 Jan 2006 00:24

Hi.

I'm running version 0.8.4a on Windows 2000.

The following functions/settings don't seem to work:
- CTRL-D for opening disc. I found #key-chapter-next=Ctrl-d in the configuration file and removed the "Ctrl-d" part to see if there was a conflict. It still didn't work.
- In the Open... -> Disc tab there's a field called "Device name". This always shows the first CD/DVD drive found on the system and if I change it to say J:, that new input won't be saved when closing/reopening the program. I've tried adding Z: to #dvd= in vlcrc but that didn't work either.
- While using the standard interface there's a menu called "Settings - Switch interface" with "Skins 2" and "wxWidgets" as the default alternatives (no "Select skin" menu item). If I change the interface to "Skins 2" and right-click the background area, in the menu list, there's a new item - "Select skin": default, playtree, Open skin... Selecting between default and playtree makes no difference at all.. One more thing: When right-clicking the Skins 2 interface to bring up the menu list and then clicking in a whole different window, the menu is still up. You have to either select an option that doesn't do anything and then un-focus the menu again to get rid of it or select something else, like Open Disc... and then cancel.

Am I missing something? :]

LTar

Postby LTar » 15 Jan 2006 00:44

New information..

It seems that settings (some or all) do get saved, but the program can't seem to load them at start-up. I've tried modifying #audio= to 0 (it was 1 from the beginning) and #volume= to some other value. When I start up the program, it uses the default values and saves them again.
Ah.. I found out why it couldn't read the modified audio values: my Windows username contains non-standard characters. VLC can't read the settings file in that folder (path).
The interface and "device name" preferences still don't get saved nor loaded.

/L

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 11 Feb 2006 11:58

Hello,

Could you please tell us what non-standard chars are present in your username ?
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”