Is there a way to convert .vob to .mp4?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
soyc
New Cone
New Cone

Is there a way to convert .vob to .mp4?

Postby soyc » 28 Jul 2013 23:37

The VLC player comes with the option to convert between different file types and I tried this for one of my .vob files. The conversion worked, sort of, in that I did get an mp4 video, but the sound was missing from it. I was half expecting it to fail, but I thought that it would go the other way and become sound only, because when I load the .vob file into Windows Movie Maker it gives me a blank video with just sound.

So converting it with VLC player gives a video with no sound, and converting it with WMV gives a blank video with sound, but is there anything I can do to have the video and sound together?

It's fine for me to have the videos in this weird format because I can play them myself using VLC player, but I want to make them more easily accessible for sharing. The videos were originally recorded on a camcorder 15-20 years ago to a cassette, then transferred to one of those HDD DVD players to stop the quality deteriorating any further, and now I have them on my laptop.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Is there a way to convert .vob to .mp4?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 29 Jul 2013 17:12

Unfortunately, there is no good open-source AAC audio encoder at the moment.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alex5723 » 30 Jul 2013 07:40

Try the free Handbrake application.

Steve403
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Steve403 » 21 Jul 2019 19:53

I was able to get sound when converting from VOB to mp4. After clicking convert/save click on the small wrench icon to the right of the profile.
Under the audio codec I made sure both the audio and Keep original audio track buttons were checked. I also did the same for the video but that may not be necessary. Click Save. I now have both audio and video after conversion.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”