Convert/Save Audio CD to mp3

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Cryog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Convert/Save Audio CD to mp3

Postby Cryog » 10 Jul 2019 06:34

I have v2.1.5 Rincewind
I am using the Convert/Save function to create .mp3 files from my store-bought Audio CDs & all is going just fine. I just have a few questions though:
1. When I get to the step where I choose the Audio Codec settings, what are Bitrate & Channels?
2. Is there a way to Convert/Save a whole CD at once instead of track-by-track?

Unrelated: How do I add an image to this post?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Convert/Save

Postby unidan » 10 Jul 2019 10:30

Hi
1. When I get to the step where I choose the Audio Codec settings, what are Bitrate & Channels?
Bitrate is the quantity of information in your track by unit of time : https://techterms.com/definition/bitrate
It's highly related to audio quality, but the higher the bitrate the higher the size of the final file.

Channels is related to audio encoding. When you're using headphones with stereo output, VLC will downmix the channels into 2 channels, but if you have enough, you can have a different representation (on 5.1 or 7.1 audio setup for example) or even spatialized representation (https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-commits/2017-July/042512.html)
2. Is there a way to Convert/Save a whole CD at once instead of track-by-track?
No easily with a graphical interface, no.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Convert/Save

Postby mederi » 10 Jul 2019 11:23

VLC Extension can help you: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=130354
Just save the code into a text file (Notepad) with "lua" extension instead of "txt" or download and unzip the file from the WIP collection package: https://addons.videolan.org/p/1167844/
Then copy the lua file into appropriate "vlc\lua\extensions\" folder, restart VLC and activate it in VLC menu (View > Audio CD ripping helper).
Audio CD -> mp3: 128, 2, 44100 parameters should be O.K. You can try to increase the bitrate (typically 128, 160, 192, 224, 256) and compare the results.

Cryog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Convert/Save Audio CD to mp3

Postby Cryog » 19 Jul 2019 01:34

mederi:
I'm doing something wrong, can you help me?

1. I went to the 1st site you linked (https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=130354).
2. I selected the whole code, copied & pasted it into notepad & saved it as a .lua file.
3. I then moved that .lua file to the C:\Program Files (x86)\VLC\lua\extensions folder.
4. In VLC, I activated it (View > Audio CD ripping helper).
5. In the CD Ripping window, I changed Source MRL: to cdda:///A:/ (my CD drive letter).
6. Changed Track Position to number of tracks on CD (9).
7. Chose the Audio CD -> mp3 profile.
8. Changed to ab=160, channels=1.
9. Clicked the Enqueue button & playlist filled up w/CD tracks.
10. I selected all tracks in Playlist & pressed the Play button.
- The tracks were scrolled through real fast, but nothing was saved anywhere as far as I can tell.

So I tried another way:
1. In VLC, I activated the extension (View > Audio CD ripping helper).
2. I opened Media > Open Disc & selected my CD drive (which is A:).
3. Changed Track Position to 1.
4. Pressed the Convert/Save button at the bottom of VLC. Clicked the Profile drop down box & selected the Audio - MP3 export setting.
5. Chose the Save location & File name, including the .mp3 extension.
6. Pressed the Start button to convert.
- But only the 1st song was converted.

How do I get ALL songs converted?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 19 Jul 2019 15:49

>8. Changed to ab=160, channels=1.
The Audio CD is usually stereo audio, so "ab=160,channels=2" << better do not use any spaces there.

Then you should edit the destination folder (and filename) in the output options input field: dst="H:\Track ?.mp3" to your existing writable folder, for example: dst="D:\CD1\Audio track ?.mp3" << keep the question mark in the filename!

>9. Clicked the Enqueue button & playlist filled up w/CD tracks.
Then you can also open the messages window (Tools > Messages), set verbosity level to 2 (debug) and you can watch logs there.

>10. I selected all tracks in Playlist & pressed the Play button.
It is not necessary to select all items in playlist, just press Play button or double click the first item in the playlist.
Check the logs in the messages window.
Currently I cannot test the audio cd ripping in VLC 3, but it worked well in VLC 2.

Cryog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cryog » 19 Jul 2019 20:50

mederi:
I followed your reply & CD was converted perfectly.
I did open the messages window, changed the Verbosity level to 2 & watched the log. Not that I know what was going on, but I didn't see any error messages, so that's good. And the converted songs sound just fine. Thank you for the help.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 19 Jul 2019 21:25

Then what was the problem, the wrong destination folder?

Cryog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cryog » 20 Jul 2019 10:10

I have no Idea, nothing was logged before.
But thank you for all the help, all is working fine for me now.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”