VLC 4k/hardware acceleration problems

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
kiwano
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 4k/hardware acceleration problems

Postby kiwano » 16 Apr 2019 11:26

I have the problem that 4k videos started to be really choppy and tough to play all of a sudden. And I literally mean all of a sudden; It's been working fine for years, then one day in the middle of the day, it started acting up. I had not recently updated anything, changed any settings or even restarted my computer since it used to work. I used to notice that my computer really speed up (stronger sound from the fans I suppose) when playing 4k, but now it sounds like usual.

I'm using Windows 7 on a first generation Intel i7 with 24mb ram and a Geforce GTX 660.

What I've done:
1.) I have since tried to update VLC, and am now running 3.0.6.
2.) I have checked the settings for hardware acceleration and usually it's been on automatic, which have worked fine before. Switching it over to direct 3d11 seemed to make it play smoother, but VLC crashes as soon as I hit the stop button for some reason. Also if I would open another VLC window, it would also likely crash.
3.) I have increased the file cashing from 300 ms to 1000 ms and now to 10000 ms.

I'm starting to think there might rather be a problem with my graphics card, but most other things seem to work properly, and I thought that would be more noticeable.
Grateful for any help,
/K

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC 4k/hardware acceleration problems

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Apr 2019 13:28

Can you share your logs?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC 4k/hardware acceleration problems

Postby InTheWings » 23 Apr 2019 10:40

I have the problem that 4k videos started to be really choppy and tough to play all of a sudden. And I literally mean all of a sudden; It's been working fine for years, then one day in the
4K is the resolution. You're not mentioning codec.
GTX 660 can only do 4K H264 30fps 8bit
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”