Doesn't show subtitles

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SuperMidget

Doesn't show subtitles

Postby SuperMidget » 09 Nov 2005 22:57

VLC refuses to load (or display) subtitle files. It does autodetect them, and according to the log it loads them, but i really don't see them. I've been searching the forums and internet for 5 hours now and I'm really getting frustrated. THe subtitle file is as it should be, it works perfectly in other players like Mplayer Classic. The only clue it gives me is the log:

these two lines. Still though i'm sure the sub file is good. I don't know what to do with the other error.

vobsub debug: this doesn't seem to be a vobsub file
main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist

Code: Select all

main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\ main debug: found a possible subtitle: Dream - Get Over.srt main debug: autodetected subtitle: Dream - Get Over.srt with priority 4 main warning: drive letter C: found in source main debug: `C:\Dream - Get Over.srt' gives access `' demux `' path `C:\Dream - Get Over.srt' main debug: creating access '' path='C:\Dream - Get Over.srt' main debug: looking for access2 module: 4 candidates vcd debug: trying .cue file: C:\Dream - Get Over.cue access_file debug: opening file `C:\Dream - Get Over.srt' main debug: using access2 module "access_file" main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data for our buffer main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='subtitle' path='C:\Dream - Get Over.srt' main debug: looking for demux2 module: 2 candidates vobsub debug: this doesn't seem to be a vobsub file main error: option sub-original-fps does not exist subtitle debug: autodetecting subtitle format subtitle debug: detected SubRIP format subtitle debug: loading all subtitles... subtitle debug: loaded 3 subtitles main debug: selecting program id=0 main debug: using demux2 module "subtitle" main debug: `C:\Dream - Get Over.mpg' successfully opened
i also know that i should select the subtitles from the video menu by enabling track 1. I have tried .srt .usf and .txt, but nothing works. I use version 0.82. Other overlay filters do work such as marquee text. Somebody please help me! I don't want to switch back to MPC.

Rager
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rager » 27 Nov 2005 12:18

I was using version 0.7 which seemed to display RubRip .srt subtitles ok.

However, I've just installed 0.82 and I'm getting the same problem!

VLC seems to load the subtitles but no longer displays them.

Any suggestions?

AsMaX
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby AsMaX » 27 Nov 2005 13:27

Before further investigation, can you try with vlc 0.8.4 ?

Rager
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rager » 27 Nov 2005 18:58

I'm afraid I'm on dial-up access and a 9MB download takes too long - I'd installed 0.8.2 from a magazine cover CD.

I think for the moment I'll go back to 0.7 as this displayed subs ok.

I'll keep watching the forum for any developments.

Many thanks for a prompt reply.

Postby Guest » 27 Nov 2005 22:05

I had the same problem... after many, many tries I have partially solved by selecting in the preferences the first track as default one:

just go to preferences -> input /codecs -> general, and put 0 in the "subtitles track" text area (you need "advanced preferences" to see it).

works for .srt subtitles, because there is only a single language.
but when I load a .sub subtitle I _always_ get the first track, regardless of the language (sometimes the first track is japanese, but I want the english one). I've put "en" in the "subtitle language" option, but it is ignored...

so please someone of the developers fix it: the subtitle track must be used only if it isn't set the "subtitle language" option!

thanks.

Rager
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rager » 28 Nov 2005 21:25

I've tried this using 0.8.2 and the subs still don't appear.

Any further suggestions..?

Regards,

Rager

Postby Guest » 29 Nov 2005 01:03

Same problem here, the .srt subtitles don't show up. Version 0.84 running.

Dragoul

Damn subtitles

Postby Dragoul » 05 Dec 2005 23:23

The sutitles aren't working for me either... using 0.8.4

subtiles dont work

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2005 01:22

subtitles don't work only when playing .img or .iso files

Re: subtiles dont work

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2005 01:26

sorry, didn't finish the whole sentence.

the subtitles are loaded, and i can select the track when playing iso/img files, but they just don't show up on screen. If i play an avi file using the same subtitles, it shows up fine.

I'm using 0.8.4 and I tried going to preferences->input/codec->general and set subtitles track to 0. This still didn't work.

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2005 23:17

I'm using 0.84 and the subtitles doesn't show on any avi. The subtitles files are named exactly the same as the avi file, only that they ended with .EN.srt for English and ES.srt for Spanish.

I tried every option with "autodetect subtitles" and also tried to manually load the subtitles file. No luck; they still doesn't show. Inside can't even see the option "subtitles track" in the Video menu.

Postby Guest » 07 Dec 2005 02:35

I'm confused that VLC 0.8.4 for windows doesn't show the option 'subtitle tracks' even in 'Video' of the menu, but VLC 0.8.4 for Mac is OK.
Does that have anything to do with my low-equipped pc(PIII 800MHz)?

arron

Postby arron » 07 Dec 2005 02:57

I'm confused that VLC 0.8.4 for windows doesn't show the option 'subtitle tracks' even in 'Video' of the menu, but VLC 0.8.4 for Mac is OK.
Does that have anything to do with my low-equipped pc(PIII 800MHz)?
Hardware: PIII 800MHz, 512M, on-board audio, G400 16M display adaptor
VLC 0.8.4
When playing divx/xvid movies, VLC doesn't show option 'subtitle track', let alone to choose. Neither .srt or .sub works. Same .avi and .srt/.sub plays well in VLC 0.8.4 for Mac.

dhaa
New Cone
New Cone

subtitles display only when i select them manually

Postby dhaa » 07 Dec 2005 11:45

i have tried anything to set the autodetect option, but no subtitles have ever shown. no matter what format it is. in the message window i get the same sequence as SuperMidget, so the subtitle file is detected and opened, all the subtitles loaded, but i don't see any of them though:

Code: Select all

vobsub debug: this doesn't seem to be a vobsub file
but evidently, this is not the point, because the same thing appears when i select the subtitle file manually and the subtitles display correctly then.

i haven't found any other suspious items or differences comparing the 2 logs. but of course, if necessary i can post them both later.

i run the 0.8.4 version.

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2005 08:58

Have you tryed subtitle text encoding option ?????

Preferences>input codecs> other codecs>subtitles , i really dont know how is the encoding for your lenguages

And in subtitles (text subtitles demux) you have an option called subtitles file format, please note that dont appear .srt file format ( perhaps are the words for subriptitle or something like that) :wink: , i really dont know again.

Preferences>input codecs>demuxers>subtitles

Shadow-x969
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Shadow-x969 » 12 Jan 2006 03:58

ok i got all ur answers to this problem..
you go into prefrences into video Subtitles/osd then take auto detect off after you do that you brows for your srt ( subtitle file )

after or befor this you have to go into input/codecs general then put a 1 in subtitle language and vala you can now see your subtitles yay for me

that's as simple as it gets this is for ver 0.8.4

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Jan 2006 22:04

I hate to say this guys, but there are still problems with certain file formats and containers using subtitles with VLC.

Most of the problems have been resolved in 0.8.5 available in the nightly builds. There will be another rebuild of this module in March or April.

http://nightlies.videolan.org/

amino
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amino » 15 Jan 2006 22:19

I found out one thing. I have the same problem with VLC 0.8.4 not autodetecting the subtitle when opening the avi from Explorer (Open With -> VLC mediaplayer), but ... if I first start VLC and then DRAG the avi to VLC or open the avi from VLC, the subs are loaded and displays just fine.

Let me know if this works for you guys too.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Jan 2006 05:11

Please provide the debug from the messages window.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

amino
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amino » 16 Jan 2006 10:27

Sorry. But since yesterday i've changed default mediaplayer to VLC (all videoformats associated to VLC) and after that everything works fine with the subs, even when i open a movie from explorer. So I can't reproduce the error now. And of course the message window is empty.

CrisCr0ss

Postby CrisCr0ss » 25 Jan 2006 05:24

I have a dvd in drive it wont show subs even though im sure they are loaded

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Jan 2006 07:10

I have a dvd in drive it wont show subs even though im sure they are loaded
Just select them from the DVD menu at start up. If the DVD works at all the subs will also work. DVDs are different in this regard than the rest of the posts in this blog.

BaB59

Postby BaB59 » 25 Jan 2006 07:10

There is no problem for me with VLC 0.8.4. All subtitles files are perfectly loaded except that I have to press "K" when I load a video file by double click from windows explorer.

"k" is the hotkey for showing subtitles files ....

CirsCr0ss

Postby CirsCr0ss » 26 Jan 2006 01:11

It still wont play it

Steps I have done, place dvd in drive, selected subtitle from dvd menu, pressed play movie but no luck

tried k still no luck

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 26 Jan 2006 02:01

It still wont play it

Steps I have done, place dvd in drive, selected subtitle from dvd menu, pressed play movie but no luck

tried k still no luck
I assume that the DVD is playing normally (both audio & video) except for subs??

When you press "k" do you see the change of assignment in the upper right corner or the screen??

I am running a nightly build 1/15/06 and there were some subtitle improvements, but I have never had problems with DVDs.

Traditionally video, subtitle and dual audio tracks are provided and controlled by the DVD navigator, the subtitle track is a separate pin on the navigator. So what you are suggesting is this pin is not connecting to the MPEG decoder. Do you actually have the subtitle option when you right click on the player while playing the DVD? If the subtitles option is showing up the pin is connected, conversely if the subtitles option is not showing up the pin is not connected as is the case when there are no subtitles. Does this happen on other DVDs that are supposed to have subtitles? Or have you always tried the same DVD?

Technically the pin is always supposed to connect and it is flag recognition within the stream that switches the subtitles on or off but for the sake of discussion here I chose to describe it differently so that it may be easier to understand without a long explanation. The only way the pin would not connect would be incompatibilities between the navigator and the MPEG decoder but then no system would work. Non recognition of the flag would have the same end result.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”