how to save preferences?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VideoLAN 007
New Cone
New Cone

how to save preferences?

Postby VideoLAN 007 » 11 Jan 2006 05:59

Hi,

How do I save my preferences in VideoLAN?

I want the volume on maximum and stereo sound, but neither are saved.

Where are the files association preferences?

I want to open all video files with VideoLAN but without doing this manually.

Cheers.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Jan 2006 06:44

1. Open the player and right click on the player select Miscellaneous Preferences. When you have made the changes you want press save.

2. File associations are a part of the install options and don't appear anywhere else. You will need to uninstall and then reinstall the player.

VideoLAN 007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VideoLAN 007 » 11 Jan 2006 13:53

I cannot make VideoLAN play in "stereo". It insists on 5.1 This is totally useless.

I cannot make VideoLAN the default video player from the non-install version. Again this is quite useless.

VideoLAN should make it so whatever the settings are, they can be saved. The Miscellaneous Preferences does not have all the settings.

VideoLAN is very poorly laid out. BSplayer is far superior to this crap software.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 11 Jan 2006 13:57

I cannot make VideoLAN play in "stereo". It insists on 5.1 This is totally useless.
Sure it can. Have a look at the audio menu when playing a file
I cannot make VideoLAN the default video player from the non-install version. Again this is quite useless.
VLC isn't windows specific so we didn't want to add this in the interface. Runing the installer can't be that complicated considering how intellectually superior you seem to be.
VideoLAN should make it so whatever the settings are, they can be saved. The Miscellaneous Preferences does not have all the settings.
Almost all settings (all those that you would want to use if you're runing VLC as a media player) are available in the prefs. If that doesn't suit your needs, add command line options.
VideoLAN is very poorly laid out. BSplayer is far superior to this crap software.
Thanks, that's always nice to hear.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

VideoLAN 007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VideoLAN 007 » 11 Jan 2006 14:17

Sure it can. Have a look at the audio menu when playing a file
VLC isn't windows specific so we didn't want to add this in the interface. Runing the installer can't be that complicated considering how intellectually superior you seem to be.
Almost all settings (all those that you would want to use if you're runing VLC as a media player) are available in the prefs. If that doesn't suit your needs, add command line options.
Thanks, that's always nice to hear.
1. VideoLAN does not remember the setting of "stereo". It defaults to 5.1 in the one I am using. There is no way to make it remember to play in stereo. This is an obvious design fault. The program should save such changes.

2. "intellectually superior" You just showed you are a smartarse. I am talking about the software and instead of addressing the issues you show how petty you are.

3. As I stated I have the non install version. You say that "VLC isn't windows specific", but you have a version for windows. If you are going to do a job, then do it properly. File associations are important and having to either install VLC or do this manually isn't good. There should be an option to do this within the program.

4. "Almost all settings" Well that says a lot. Why not have a "save" function after it is set up. The preferences that can be saved are too limited.

5. Yes I have come to the conclusion that VideoLAN for Windows is crap and for the reasons I have cited above. Go and download BSplayer, the free version, and then you will see how superior it is to your software.

The moral of the story is to listen and reflect. Either you are going to produce windows compatible software and do it properly or don't do it at all.

Consider this constructive criticism.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 11 Jan 2006 16:40

Right....
Some people just don't get what cross-platform and Free software seem to uphold. You don't have to use it, you can use BSplayer whenever you want.

personally, i prefer to have my VLC on a USB stick and play any kind of video on any PC. Let's see BSplayer do that.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Jan 2006 20:28

I'm very sad to see this kind of thing happen here! :cry:

1. It is not unusual for cross platform software to not offer file types options within preferences, iTunes is a good example but there are many others. I personally don't understand why it is a problem for you to use the install version in order to gain these options that you feel are missing??

2. I have never had a problem saving any changes I have made in preferences and it has nothing to do with the method of install. Preferences are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC\ this directory and VLC's defaults are made the first time you run VLC, when you press save the files are updated. If you do a search here, I don't believe you will find anyone else that has ever had a problem saving their preferences!

3. I'm a bit confused on your last point! If you don't like VLC and you feel that the BS Player is superior, yet you are complaining that you can't make VLC your default player. But if you don't like VLC why would you want to make VLC your default player?? Then you become rude telling everyone here that VLC is crap and offended two other people that tried to help you.

In closing, I think you are correct, VLC is not the player for you! You should stay with a player you have become accustomed to and works for you!

There is an old saying that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

lol

flowersrj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flowersrj » 12 Jan 2006 04:07

The DJ,

Where is the version that can be loaded on a USB stick for use with Windows?

Thanks,
Rich

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby tonsofpcs » 12 Jan 2006 07:41

I'm pretty sure you can just move the files to a usb stick and run it from there...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”