Feature requests for VLC.
videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

For Android; a settings menu entry for aspect ratio control

Postby videobruce » 14 Jan 2019 15:25

I'm having the worst time playing music videos, some from U-Tube, others from pay sources as far as aspect ratio issues.
In the settings menu there is absolutely NO ASPECT control to correct videos that have aspect issues (for unknown reasons). The player enlarges 4x3 videos to fill the width, cutting off the top and bottom making a poor (low resolution) video unwatchable.

Supposedly there is some function when playing the video, but why not a system wide function?

bfa1155
New Cone
New Cone

Re: For Android; a settings menu entry for aspect ratio control

Postby bfa1155 » 30 Jan 2019 13:52

I believe that there is another use for a variable aspect ratio setting of which maybe nobody has thought of as yet and that possibly would be very much appreciated by the users:

Some time ago I bought a 3D goggle to use my Samsung Galaxy J5 as a virtual reality device. However I soon found another much better use for that 3D goggle. The thing is that a 3D HSBS video plays with this 3D goggle the way that the left part is seen with the left eye and the right part with the right eye.

However, as the aspect ratio of the whole is 16:9 each eye only sees its part in the distorted 8:9 frame.
For testing purposes I re-encoded a movie from 16:9 to 32:9 and voilá it played in perfect 3D mode, each eye got its part in 16:9.

Unfortunately the re-encoding process takes ages and the result is of poor quality.

VLC for Windows comes with a command line tool that allows to freely choose the aspect ratio. In other words, on my computer I can play any video in any aspect ratio, including a 3D HSBS video in 32:9. Of course on my Windows PC this doesn't make much sense as this will not produce the 3D effect.

On my Smartphone in the 3D goggle on the other hand, this would be an astonishing feature to watch true 3D videos right from the 3D HSBS source.

Question: would it be possible to implement the feature to freely choose the aspect ratio in any next version of the VLC Android app?

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Re: For Android; a settings menu entry for aspect ratio control

Postby videobruce » 30 Jan 2019 16:02

Why does VLC have audio sync issues, whereas other players don't playing the same videos (movies & TV series ripped from DVD's)?
I had one that was a 1/2 sec off (500ms). :roll:

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”