Stereo audio mode always on 'headphones'

macOS specific usage questions
mike07
New Cone
New Cone

Stereo audio mode always on 'headphones'

Postby mike07 » 18 May 2018 07:49

When I play any video file, the stereo audio mode is always set on 'Headphones':

The sound is a bit weird when on Headphones and when I set it to Stereo, it all is fine. But every time I open a video file, its defaults back to Headphones.
How do I set it to Stereo on default?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Stereo audio mode always on 'headphones'

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jun 2018 23:16

Do you have your headphones plugged?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Prizm4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Prizm4 » 06 Jan 2019 00:07

The sound is a bit weird when on Headphones and when I set it to Stereo, it all is fine."
Yes, this is very annoying. I have external 2.1 speakers plugged into my system which Windows detects as 'headphones'. VLC seems to pick this up and automatically changes its audio setting.

I can't find an option in VLC to force "stereo" output instead of "headphone", I always have to change it. When I play certain videos with surround sound (eg, 5.1), the "headphone" setting pans the vocals part way to the right making the vocals off-balance, and it's very irritating.

CTS_AE
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CTS_AE » 14 Sep 2019 13:32

I just bought a "7.1" headset. I was watching a movie that has 5.1/7.1 audio, and was going crazy because everything was being right balance heavy. i noticed if I set the audio to mono, or stereo this problem goes away. I also verified it was only happening with VLC. If I try to chose "Original" for the audio it keeps going back to headphones.

I'm not sure why headphones are set to no be balanced, or why I can't keep the original and play the 5.1 or 7.1 audio on my headset that shows up as supporting all the channels in Windows 10.

I'm also confused why headphone mode would ever be off balance?

I was 30 minutes through a movie suffering from this going crazy, so I'm glad I kind of figured this out as a temporary solution.

Abizzle85
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Abizzle85 » 18 Nov 2020 01:36

Two and a half years after this post, and this is still a problem. I actually returned a set of headphones not realizing it was actually VLC causing the problem. Got the same pair. Same issue.

This is something that is hard to Google for a solution. Luckily, I too stumbled on that if I put the audio to stereo, the problem goes away. I only realized it wasn't the headphones by trying windows media player to play the movie.

The dialogue and treble is very noticeably right balanced when using headphones mode. It's incredibly disruptive. Why is this even an issue? It makes no sense. I'm actually considering looking for a VLC alternative. But VLC is so awesome..

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 18 Nov 2020 22:42

Please don't re-use an old post and instead create a new post, especially for something over a year old.

What is the setting in Audio menu -> Audio Device?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”