Snapshots without subtitles

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Atroxion
New Cone
New Cone

Snapshots without subtitles

Postby Atroxion » 15 Nov 2012 02:01

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so nice to meet you all.

I was just wondering whether there's a way to take snapshots (i.e. screenshots) in VLC without capturing the subtitles on display at the time. I am, of course, talking about softcoded subs, not hardcoded ones, which I'm well aware that it is not possible to remove.

I'm watching anime quite a lot, and I also review them occassionally. I therefore tend to take snapshots while I'm watching for future blog usage, but sometimes it can get annoying to constantly have to disable subtitles so they don't appear in the frame I want to capture, then re-enable the subs again, and would like to know a way around that if possible.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Snapshots without subtitles

Postby Lotesdelere » 15 Nov 2012 16:15

sometimes it can get annoying to constantly have to disable subtitles so they don't appear in the frame I want to capture, then re-enable the subs again
AFAIK there is actually no other way.

Atroxion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Atroxion » 17 Nov 2012 02:43

sometimes it can get annoying to constantly have to disable subtitles so they don't appear in the frame I want to capture, then re-enable the subs again
AFAIK there is actually no other way.
Ah, that's a real shame.

kurzgast
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kurzgast » 31 Mar 2014 01:38

there is a workaround with key remapping for Mac users. There should be an equivalent keyremapping applicaton for windows:
  • install BetterTouchTool (it's free but it's for MAC, so find a Windows key remapper!). BTT maps any shortcut, shortcut series, system functions etc. to a keystroke, mouse/touchpad gesture and even to a key on your remote.
  • find out the following hotkeys of your VLC version
    • taking a snapshot (i.e. I remaped CMD+ALT+S to R inside VLC, so R is my personal Hotkey for snapshots)
    • toggle subtitle track (i.e. if there are 2 subtitle tracks: S toggles subtitle track 1 to track 2 to track 1 ....)
  • go to BTT & create new shortcut action. I assigned to my Apple Remote button "menu" the follwing actions (use the "add additional actions" button):
    • S
      R
      S
  • now everytime I press the "menu" button on my Apple Remote, BTT sends to VLC a:
    • "S" (toggles subtitle track 1 to 'deactivated'), then a
      "R" (takes snapshot), then a
      "S" (toggles subtitle track from 'deactivated' to track 1).
    This happens within less than a second, so you can take snapshots not containing subtitles while viewing a subtitled movie!
I think that is what you want.

An additional suggestion:

If you add the Hotkey "jump back a short step" in the 1st place of the BTT action, you can compensate your reaction time. If you passed the frame you want to capture, you have 2seconds (or so) time to press the button. VLC will jump back, disable subtitles, take snapshot, enable subtitle & continue.

I hope this helps.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 24 Dec 2018 21:39

there is a workaround with key remapping for Mac users. There should be an equivalent keyremapping applicaton for windows.
AutoHotkey is good on Windows (and Linux).

now everytime I press the "menu" button on my Apple Remote, BTT sends to VLC a:
This only works for videos that have only one subtitle. For videos that have multiple subtitles (like DVDs), there's no way to encode a universal macro because there could be any number of subtitles that have to each be cycled through to get back to the one being used. :-|

user312423
New Cone
New Cone

Postby user312423 » 14 Oct 2020 13:04

there is a workaround with key remapping for Mac users. There should be an equivalent keyremapping applicaton for windows.
AutoHotkey is good on Windows (and Linux).

now everytime I press the "menu" button on my Apple Remote, BTT sends to VLC a:
This only works for videos that have only one subtitle. For videos that have multiple subtitles (like DVDs), there's no way to encode a universal macro because there could be any number of subtitles that have to each be cycled through to get back to the one being used. :-|
What about subtitle toggle?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”