Hide the title bar in minimal view

Feature requests for VLC.
Dreamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Hide the title bar in minimal view

Postby Dreamer » 24 Feb 2012 21:15

Minimal view is nice, but I miss the view as in MPC, no title bar and placing / moving the window from any place within the window.

Or - implement this as "Micro view".

Thank you.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Hide the title bar in minimal view

Postby Synetech » 25 Feb 2012 23:28

Darn, there is no way to “up-vote” requests/questions like on StackExchange (or even a way to subscribe to a thread without posting something). :?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 26 Feb 2012 13:31

Darn, there is no way to “up-vote” requests/questions like on StackExchange
Upvoting wouldn't help in here, because there isn't guarantee that feature will be implemented.

synack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby synack » 29 Feb 2012 03:27

I'd love to see this feature as well. I've been using mpc-hc simply for this feature, but want to come back to VLC.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 29 Feb 2012 04:23

I don’t know if it’s a technical issue that makes it difficult/impossible or if they’re not sure how to implement it for VLC (would be surprising), but in general, calling SC_MOVE from the WM_LBUTTONDOWN handler of the target window does the trick. I didn’t look through the code, but assuming the video frame is a C++ class VLCMSW an example would be something like:

Code: Select all

void VLCMSW::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { SendMessage(WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MOVE | 0x02, 0L); //… <parentclass>::OnLButtonDown(nFlags, point); }
That’s what I did a long time ago to make a window-frame– and titlebar-less program that could still be moved.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Feb 2012 10:01

Patches are welcome, really.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

#thweiss
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby #thweiss » 09 Nov 2018 08:27

Hello together,

are there any solution until now to hide the title bar in the minimal QT-View for the VLC-Player ([Ctrl]+[H])?

Perhaps the Microsoft Documentation for Windows Application can help to provide the solution for the VLC-Player.
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... /title-bar

kind regards
Thomas

Hennie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hennie » 09 Nov 2018 10:16

hi a friend showed me how to record desktop with vlc so I now want to use as a monitoring program I see plenty questions to hide vlc from taskbar while watching and I don't find a positive reply but I want to hide vlc all together so that there is no evidence that I am monitoring that pc so don't want to see on screen or in taskbar.
if not does anybody know what software I can use to record screen I found plenty monitoring software but they all seem to give you reports I want to record exactly what happens on screen like I can with vlc but want to do it hidden

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 15 Nov 2018 01:34

hi a friend showed me how to record desktop with vlc so I now want to use as a monitoring program I see plenty questions to hide vlc from taskbar while watching and I don't find a positive reply but I want to hide vlc all together so that there is no evidence that I am monitoring that pc so don't want to see on screen or in taskbar.
if not does anybody know what software I can use to record screen I found plenty monitoring software but they all seem to give you reports I want to record exactly what happens on screen like I can with vlc but want to do it hidden
This is of topic, this thread is about hiding the title bar, not hiding everything.
Also, you are asking us to turn VLC into spyware. No thank you, make your own spyware please.
If you just want to minimalise VLC while recording the desktop you should already be able to do that, or you could run VLC from a command line interface, and minimize that interface. But it will still show up in some places while it is running, as is good practice, so the user may detect the process and end it when he likes to do so.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 15 Nov 2018 02:02

Minimal view is nice, but I miss the view as in MPC, no title bar and placing / moving the window from any place within the window.

Or - implement this as "Micro view".

Thank you.
It is just a good feature request. The only issue is that no developer seems to have time to work on it. To increase the odds of it getting detected and worked on, I have turned the request into a ticket: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/21457#ticket

Anyone reading, either you start development on this feature your self, or you will have to wait for someone else to come around to it some day.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”