Play MIDI audio files

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
peter5223
New Cone
New Cone

Play MIDI audio files

Postby peter5223 » 24 Nov 2011 11:05

I recently downloaded some songs and they are in a .midi format. VLC player doesn't play them. It comes up with this error message:

MIDI synthesis not set up:
A sound font file (.SF2) is required for MIDI synthesis.
Please install a sound font and configure it from the VLC preferences (Codecs / Audio / FluidSynth).No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "MIDI". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

I am using the latest version of VLC player (1.11.11).
Would it be possible to add this codec to VLC player?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Play MIDI audio files

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Nov 2011 12:33

gk67
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.6
Operating System: Devuan / Windows

Postby gk67 » 26 Feb 2012 04:06

Hi! :D

I hope I'm not hijacking another person's post, but I have exactly the same problem.
After reading the wiki and installing GeneralUser GS FluidSynth v1.44, I keep geting the same message:

Code: Select all

MIDI synthesis not set up: A sound font file (.SF2) is required for MIDI synthesis. Please install a sound font and configure it from the VLC preferences (Input / Codecs > Audio codecs > FluidSynth). Δεν υπάρχει κατάλληλη ενότητα αποκωδικοποιητή: O VLC δεν υποστηρίζει τον τύπο ήχου η βίντεο "MIDI". Δυστυχώς δεν υπάρχει τρόπος για να το διορθώσετε.
Seems like the sound font never installed.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 26 Feb 2012 09:41

As said you need a .SF2 SoundFont and to browse to this file through Tools -> Preferences (Show settings = ALL) -> Input / Codecs -> Audio codecs -> FluidSynth
Then save and exit VLC.

It works for me on Windows but the sound volume has become very very very low, even lower than AC3, and you need to push the volume up.

gk67
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.6
Operating System: Devuan / Windows

Postby gk67 » 26 Feb 2012 14:33

As said you need a .SF2 SoundFont and to browse to this file through Tools -> Preferences (Show settings = ALL) -> Input / Codecs -> Audio codecs -> FluidSynth
Then save and exit VLC.
THANKS Lotesdelere! :D

I already did it (after reading the wiki), but it keeps warning me with the above message (and MIDIs still aren't playable).
That's why, I posted here.

Seems like, the SF2 didn't installed properly.

MGBetts
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MGBetts » 24 Oct 2018 03:06

I don't know if this will be of any help, but you don't "install" the .SF2 file at all, you simply place it somewhere on your PC. When I first tried, I left the file in it's original unzipped folder in my downloads folder. After I set up VLC, it would play midi files, but no sound came out. I moved the folder to C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC (so it's in the same location as the player is installed) and now it works fine.

You need to point the VLC FluidSynth MIDI Synthesiser to the actual file with the extention ".SF2" - in my case, GeneralUser GS v1.471.sf2

The full path (for my PC) was:
C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\GeneralUser GS 1.471\GeneralUser GS v1.471.sf2

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”