Ejecting DVD locks up whole system

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
billynair
New Cone
New Cone

Ejecting DVD locks up whole system

Postby billynair » 02 Oct 2018 22:37

If you are playing a DVD and hit Eject while it is still playing, VLC runs an infinite loop of trying to "Open the MRL". There is an Error Window that pops up and tell you to check the Logs, then gives you the options to "Clear" and "Close" the window, neither of which work because VLC is clocking hundreds if not thousands of cycles per second and will not accept any input until you resolve the issue by inserting another DVD, at which time, the Error Window closes and VLC is Hung, so you need to End the Task to restart it.

Is there a way to set VLC so it doesn't search for a DVD that isnt there after the first 10-20 times it looks? Physical DVD players stop when you eject the DVD, Windows Media Player stops trying to play when you eject the DVD, can VLC be set to do this as well?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Ejecting DVD locks up whole system

Postby Hitchhiker » 03 Oct 2018 18:26

Hit CTRL+Q (Quit) before you eject.

If it doesn't help, please state which operating system you have installed.

billynair
New Cone
New Cone

Postby billynair » 04 Oct 2018 09:59

Yes, this trick works (or press STOP), If I remember, sometimes I forget, but, I want something that just does this automatically. You dont hit "Stop" on a DVD Player or any other Software Based player I have ever used. I would think it would be standard. Does VLC not have this? and why? Why would they leave it where it hangs if you Eject rather than send some "Stop" command as part of the "Eject" procedure? Is this a feature?

im on W7

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Oct 2018 16:36

You dont hit "Stop" on a DVD Player or any other Software Based player I have ever used. I would think it would be standard. Does VLC not have this?
I guess it's just the way the devs designed the application. You could consider using the Windows notification area to bring up the menu and then click Quit: Windows systray options

billynair
New Cone
New Cone

Postby billynair » 05 Oct 2018 22:29

You can press "Pause" (Hit the Spacebar) and it wont loop this error. And, again, this isnt about finding how to do it, I know the work arounds, i was hoping there was a setting to avoid the workarounds, but I am guessing it is more important to train the User to use a workaround, and until there is a player that has as many good features and VLC does, i will deal with it's inadequacies...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”