Dual Monitor for Show Control

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jskinner
New Cone
New Cone

Dual Monitor for Show Control

Postby jskinner » 28 Apr 2011 04:38

I volunteer for a local non-profit theater. We have a setup where we have a digital cinema projector connected to a PC. The digital projector is setup as a second monitor on the PC. We often use VLC to play videos but its problematic since the interface shows up on the digital projector. Is it possible to configure VLC so that the controls are on one monitor but the display is on the second? For example so that play, stop, etc are on monitor 1 but any output goes to monitor 2?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Dual Monitor for Show Control

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Apr 2011 10:06

Deactivate embedding video in interface.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Apr 2011 14:07

leistico
New Cone
New Cone

Postby leistico » 31 May 2011 06:56

jskinner, we're in the same line of work. I'm sound/video/etc. in a small community theatre, too. Normally I make a sound and video cue list in the form of a presentation in OpenOffice, but I'm doing "Frost/Nixon" and our director wanted live video on stage, too. I just now, after seeing your question here, got our system rigged to make it work so that I can do a playlist including a cue for taking live video from a WinTV capture card from the camera in the wings...

...heh, here's the setup: Handicam - composite video to VCR by camera - 100' coax to VCR in booth - composite to WinTV card - software, software, software - second video card to 100' VGA cable to the projector backstage, and now thanks to VLC, I can make a cue list including live cues, and still have Multiplay show-control software (it's like a poor man's SFX) running for sound-only cues. Thanks for asking this question, and thanks to all who answered it, and to Jean-Baptiste for great software.

willardryan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby willardryan » 28 Aug 2018 02:02

Deactivate embedding video in interface.
But when I do so, the vedio can't show on diplay 2 directly!

talkIRC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby talkIRC » 02 Jun 2019 11:35

any updates for this? do not embed video in interface option DOES NOT WORK AT ALL, the video is forced into the main VLC window even after changing the setting.

ok, again i'll explain this:

video in fullscreen on monitor number 2

playlist / controls / everything BUT the video on monitor 1

perhaps by putting these each on their own line the devs will finally understand what it is we're desperately asking for. (it's not hard, bs player can and does that and it's not been updated in over 6 years, if it wasn't for lack of new codec support it would still be the best option)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”