Mac OS X High Sierra VLC Playback Stutter

macOS specific usage questions
swall885
New Cone
New Cone

Mac OS X High Sierra VLC Playback Stutter

Postby swall885 » 07 Aug 2018 22:08

Hi there,

New to the forums, so let me know if there is anything I need to provide. I also, am not certain as to where I can find the logs for VLC?
Anyways, I've been having slight stuttering on VLC playback from my mac laptop to a Crestron system via HDMI, to a 4K Projector. Normally I will play 1080p HD files in a h.264 or ProRes 422 format. Occasionally clients will bring in DNxHD 36 AVID files as this is a screening room environment.

Macbook Pro specs are:

DISPLAY: Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

PROCESSOR: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

RAM: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA GEForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I have the output video module set to automatic, but am curious if the program isn't taking full advantage of the graphics processor. I've also enabled the cache to store about 3 seconds of footage, which seems to help.

Thank you very much!

Lornadoo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11.1
Operating System: Mac OS 10.14.6

Re: Mac OS X High Sierra VLC Playback Stutter

Postby Lornadoo » 08 Aug 2018 21:23

Logs are under the Window menu, Messages. When the Messages window appears, you will see three buttons in the upper left. Click the middle button to choose the location where you want to save the log file. You should have the Messages window open before you begin to play the file you are wanting to capture the log data from. Good luck!

swall885
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Mac OS X High Sierra VLC Playback Stutter

Postby swall885 » 09 Aug 2018 02:22

Thanks Larnadoo! The logs are posted below:
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.

From windows command line or linux or macos terminal, launch vlc with options -vv and --logfile=file

• Windows example: vlc.exe -vv --logfile=c:\vlclog.txt
  • Linux example: vlc -vv --logfile=vlclog.txt, or vlc -vv 2>&1 > logfile.txt
Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)

Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.
main debug: VLC media player - 3.0.3 Vetinari
main debug: Copyright © 1996-2018 the VideoLAN team
main debug: revision 3.0.3-1-0-gc2bb759264
main debug: configured with /Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/extras/package/macosx/../../../configure '--prefix=/Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/build/vlc_install_dir' '--enable-macosx' '--enable-merge-ffmpeg' '--enable-osx-notifications' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-shout' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-libass' '--enable-macosx-qtkit' '--enable-macosx-avfoundation' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-xcb' '--disable-caca' '--disable-pulse' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-vnc' '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin17' '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin17' '--with-macosx-version-min=10.7' '--with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk' '--with-breakpad=https://mac.crashes.videolan.org' 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin17' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin17' 'CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-g' 'LDFLAGS=' 'CXX=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++' 'CXXFLAGS=-g' 'OBJC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'OBJCFLAGS=-g'
main debug: toggling pause
main debug: toggling pause
macosx debug: Activated assertion NoDisplaySleepAssertion through IOKit (36982)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 1 ms)
main warning: playback way too early (-295618): playing silence
main debug: inserting 14189 zeroes
main warning: playback too late (60047): up-sampling
main debug: resampling stopped (drift: -3464 us)
main debug: picture might be displayed late (missing 1 ms)
macosx debug: Releasing IOKit monitor sleep blocker (36982)
main debug: toggling resume
main debug: toggling resume[/logfile]

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”