Local network streaming: unable to see local network

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Illyxia
New Cone
New Cone

Local network streaming: unable to see local network

Postby Illyxia » 24 Jun 2018 23:56

Please help me figure out how to stream videos from my Windows 10 laptop's harddrive. I haven't been able to get this to work since the latest Windows update, when they apparently did away with HomeGroups.

I gave my computer all the permissions to share content over my network. And other apps on my Android tablet (like Plex) can see my home computer library, but I can't get VLC to see it. And I can't figure out how or where to choose what folders I would want to sync, since the Windows update took away HomeGroups.

Also willing to add the "server" manually if someone can explain how that works...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Local network streaming: unable to see local network

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jun 2018 00:13

Windows update probably disabled SMBv1 server.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Crazed_by_Penguins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Local network streaming: unable to see local network

Postby Crazed_by_Penguins » 25 Jun 2018 08:54

Jean-Baptiste's comment seems to describe the most likely cause of your issue.

Assuming this is the case, the following solution (from this thread) should work for you:
I have found a workaround for this: SMB 1.0 is still available as an optional feature in Windows 10.

To turn it on, open your Start Menu, and search for "Turn Windows features on or off". Within the window that opens, click the plus sign next to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and select "SMB 1.0/CIFS Server" (Also make sure that "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" is deselected). Click "OK" and restart your computer. Once it boots back up, VLC should be able to successfully access your fileshare.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”