VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Charvelx04
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3
Operating System: Windows 10

No way to use SMB Authentication

Postby Charvelx04 » 25 May 2018 05:35

Not sure when this happened... but, here's the scoop.

On Windows 10, 1706.. and VLC 2.0+... I used to be able to log into the folders I have on my computer(s) to let my kid watch her TV shows. She has plenty of movies on the storage card, but.. well.. computer has more!
I never really noticed she had any issues with updating to 3+... but now that we have Windows 10, 1803.. and the latest VLC for Android.. it does two things:

Choose Network - Shows the network computers. Select any computer, next screen just sits and spins (white arrow icon). It no longer goes to the screen allowing you to sign in with username/ password.

As far as I know, and I've checked all the network settings on the computer(s).. the network and firewall settings (Windows firewall).. haven't changed, unless MS has changed something regarding protocols when connecting to apps like VLC?

Any thoughts? If more computer info is needed, let me know.

Thanks!

Crazed_by_Penguins
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: No way to use SMB Authentication

Postby Crazed_by_Penguins » 31 May 2018 02:57

This seems to be the same issue described here.

Can you see if this solution works for you?
I have found a workaround for this: SMB 1.0 is still available as an optional feature in Windows 10.

To turn it on, open your Start Menu, and search for "Turn Windows features on or off". Within the window that opens, click the plus sign next to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and select "SMB 1.0/CIFS Server" (Also make sure that "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" is deselected). Click "OK" and restart your computer. Once it boots back up, VLC should be able to successfully access your fileshare.

Charvelx04
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Charvelx04 » 01 Jun 2018 10:59

Thanks for that info, Crazed.

Funny... you never have any issues with things working as advertised, until a simple update.. or in this case, a massive one. MS has a funny way of turning off services, for either those that don't work, aren't secure.. or if they feel they've supported it enough.
Never had any issues with VLC Android until the 1803 update... or at least, since the combination of 3.0.0+ and 1803. 1706 and 2.0+ had no issues.

I'll post back if it works.

Charvelx04
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Charvelx04 » 07 Jun 2018 23:16

Ok...

Long story short.. I re-enabled SMB 1.0 via Windows features.. and even though it works, it doesn't work.

The sharing folder, is listed under Users > Name > AppData > Videos. This is where I had to put them so the prior versions would see the folder and play the files.

Now.. the only folder it sees is Users > Default > AppData... etc.

So.. it no longer sees the primary login User folder, only the Default login user folders.

What I had to do to correct this:
Move the files to another folder under the main drive directory, and then share the folder. Now, VLC 3.03 sees the files.

I appreciate the information.. I got it to work, with little fuss and a quick work around.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”