Does ANYONE know how to fix the "Libav/FFmpeg" problem on Windows?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Does ANYONE know how to fix the "Libav/FFmpeg" problem on Windows?

Postby BZLederman » 27 Mar 2018 19:29

I'm sure this question must have come up many, many times, but I cannot find an actual answer anywhere on this forum, nor anywhere else. All I see are complaints from the developers that the problem isn't explained completely. Well, here is a complete description.

I'm trying to convert a video to one of the formats that is built into VLC: "Video - H.264 + MP32 (MP4). I'm quite certain I've done this
in the past: but now, I get the message I'm sure many of you have seen: "Your Libav/FFmpeg installation is crippled. *** *** Please check with your Libav/FFmpeg packager. "

Well, the packager in this case >> IS << VideoLAN.

I have the latest K-Lite Codec Pack Mega. I've been using this distribution for years, and it's always been very good and compete. It absolutely does have X.264, as I am able to encode to this using avidemux, Veedub, and Any Video Converter. However, I have videos they won't play but which VLC does play, and I want to convert them.

I've been to https://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html , but it's no help at all. It has source code, but no installation instructions for Windows. I followed the link to ffmpeg.org and got the win64 package, but there are no installation instructions anywhere that I can find. The documentation that is included in the package only tells how to build it, not how to install it on Windows.

There is also a link on the x264 page that says the x264 encoder has a support page on Doom. If you follow that link you get "Buy this domain The owner of doom10.org is offering it for sale for an asking price of 499 USD!" . So there is no support there for installing the encoder.

I did chase the "binaries" link on the x264 videolan page and got to "Index of /pub/videolan/x264/binaries/"; and downloaded the most recent build for Win64, which is "x264-r2901-7d0ff22.exe". But, once again, there are no instructions on what to do with it. It's not an installer, clicking on it doesn't run anything useful.

Since VLC includes pre-programed menu options for encoding to X.264,, and the x264 coded is being promoted on the VideoLAN web site, and the videolan.org web site supplies what is supposed to be the codec, I believe it IS the responsibility of VLC to supply instructions on how to install the essential codec: or at least provide a link that works that points to the installation instructions.

Isn't there anyone anywhere who knows how to do this properly who can post the solution here and make it available for everyone in an easy to find format?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Does ANYONE know how to fix the "Libav/FFmpeg" problem on Windows?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 Mar 2018 19:55

Use the VLC x264 plugin directly instead of avcodec. VideoLAN does not enable x264 integration in FFmpeg to save space - it's pretty pointless to ship two copies of the same x264 encoder.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BZLederman » 28 Mar 2018 11:49

I do not see anything in the preferences menu (including the advanced menu) that says how to select the "VLCx264 plugin", and I've looked many times. Could you be a bit more exact on how to make this selection? It's really very important to give a complete description of the solution to this problem.

BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BZLederman » 28 Mar 2018 12:15

I've looked through "Plugins and extensions". It clearly says that my copy of VLC does have "H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10/AVC encoder (x264)" and several related items. However, VLC at this time absolutely does not use that option when I try to encode, it gives the error message I posted in my first message saying that codec isn't there. This is very clearly a serious error on VLC's part. I need REAL instructions on how to make VLC use the plugin it says it has.

I would post a picture of the list to show you all what is installed but I can't find any way to do that; the "IMG" button in the editor just inserts some meta-code, not a real image, and there are no instructions I can find any help or instructions for the editor.

BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BZLederman » 29 Mar 2018 13:30

No Response. Does this mean that nobody anyhwhere has ever successfully converted a video to X264 with VLC?

The option to write to H.264 is hard-coded into the Convert menu. The option is shown in plugins. Don't the developers who put that option into VLC know how it works?

Why is this option even listed in VLC if it doesn't work, and can't be made to work?

BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BZLederman » 31 Mar 2018 13:28

If I did this right, this should show the plugins menu in my copy of VLC.

It clearly shows the required codec is installed in VLC, but VLC won't use it.

Once again, this is CLEARLY a VLC problem that the developers can not and should not
try to blame on others.

Once again: doesn't ANYONE anywhere know how to get VLC to convert to X.264? If this doesn't
work, shouldn't it be removed from VLC until it does work?

robUx4
Developer
Developer
Operating System: Windows

Postby robUx4 » 03 Apr 2018 14:10

Are you using VLC 3.0 ?

BZLederman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BZLederman » 03 Apr 2018 15:23

I'm using 3.0.1 Vetinari

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 03 Apr 2018 16:51

Try disabling hardware decoding acceleration then. If that does not work, then my guess is that the requested encoding settings are not supported by current x264.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

FredNurk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FredNurk » 25 Jun 2020 08:32

So what happened?

How to do this?

Any VLC geniuses brave enough to give a reply that works.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”