Tool Icons and playbar too small for touchscreen

Feature requests for VLC.
joshace
New Cone
New Cone

Tool Icons and playbar too small for touchscreen

Postby joshace » 22 Jul 2017 15:07

I recently got a touchscreen laptop.
One problem with it is that tool icons and the dragging seek bar / time bar at the bottom strip of the video screen are too small for my fingers on the touchscreen. Is there a way to increase their size?

The most important thing for me is that I want to be able to skip ahead in a video by dragging the current position on the seek bar. It is extremely difficult to do with fingers on a touchscreen.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Tool Icons and playbar too small for touchscreen

Postby EodiV » 23 Jul 2017 18:00

This is an interesting feature request. Obviously we like to design the user interface so touchscreen users can also use it (and they already can). But certainly, we could reconsider the size of at least the toolbar, with its icons and timeline. However, there have also been a considerable number of people asking for a smaller toolbar. I think for the majority of users, the size of the interface and toolbar are just right the way they are. But possibly, we could add an option to choose a large, normal, or small interface. I've posted that idea where there developers will see it, so they can decide if that is something they agree with. We'll get back on this one.

joshace
New Cone
New Cone

Postby joshace » 24 Jul 2017 02:31

The toolbar / seekbar are extremely small.
Since they are usually hidden, being larger should not be a problem.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 26 Jul 2017 01:36

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jul 2017 09:55

Try 3.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

fierce1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fierce1979 » 25 Oct 2017 22:29

Hi there

I've never had to venture into the forums, VLC has always been flawless. I recently got a convertible laptop also, and whilst I (as always) am delighted with VLC it is super hard to use when converted to tablet / touchscreen mode

I don't rally get the 'nightly build' thing, is that what I should be getting? Ie the very last version?

Thanks in advance

fierce1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fierce1979 » 26 Oct 2017 10:38

Further

I'm running the build from 25th, and so far it is perfect. Massive buttons admittedly look a bit daft when in laptop mode, but they fade out when clicking the screen which is lovely. An touchscreen is amazing. Both using as a laptop and in 'tablet mode'

Thank you

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 19 Nov 2017 22:42

VLC 3.0 will come within a few months I expect, it will be better than.
I could point you to an early build of VLC 3.0 but since you don't seem familiar with it its probably best to wait for the official release.

jon1948
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jon1948 » 25 Mar 2018 21:19

I just downloaded 3.0 and it appears they have still not allowed for enlarging the interface beyond the 2x in the customize interface choice in which is still way to small. It's still hared to see the buttons on my Microsoft Surface Pro let alone try using the touch screen. One finger is the size of three buttons. I tried different skins and that was no help. Any idea on how to enlarge the interface? I already kicked my screen resolution up to 200% which makes all the other programs huge.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 28 Apr 2018 20:13

The ticket has not been addressed yet it seems. Sorry but there are just not enough people contributing to get around to improving this further at this time. The ticket will remain open until someone gets around to it, eventually it will likely be improved. I can't begin to guess when.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”