Most DVD's don't play now....

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Stoogelady
New Cone
New Cone

Most DVD's don't play now....

Postby Stoogelady » 15 Feb 2018 00:44

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook. It is a 32-bit. I have Windows 7. I use an external dvd drive. Until the last update, I never had any problems at all with the VLC Media Player. It was perfect. After the last update, nothing seems to be working right. Well over half of the dvds I try to play that once worked, now do not. I keep getting error messages about 'cannot open/check log for details'. I check...no messages are there. I've uninstalled and reinstalled once. I've reset the prefrences and tried to empty the cache...the cache won't empty. There're items listed there that are no where to be found within my computer. Alot of the settings weren't working, either. That was before I attempted a reset. I'm getting desperate. I'm borderline computer illiterate, tbh. So I certainly need the help. What can I do to get things running/working smoothly again?

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Re: Most DVD's don't play now....

Postby chubinou » 15 Feb 2018 10:14

Hello,

thanks for reporting this issue.

* Could you send us the logs (open the message window, ensure verbosity is 2-debug ), then starts playing the DVD.

* Could you give us reference of the DVD

* Does vlc crashes when you're opening some DVD?

Stoogelady
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stoogelady » 24 Feb 2018 22:45

When I open the message window, regardless of whether I have it on 0 or 1 or 2 verbosity...nothing is there. Nothing shows up. No messages of any kind....no matter how many tries/resets. Even though I get the initial error message 'Check log for details'..upon checking...still nothing. The VLC doesn't crash when trying to open any dvds. And I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a reference of the dvd?

atexit8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby atexit8 » 26 Feb 2018 16:18

No need to troubleshoot.
Go back to 2.x version.
That worked.

Stoogelady
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stoogelady » 26 Feb 2018 17:32

:-| Bit of a computer illiterate person....don't really know how to do that. :-|

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 27 Feb 2018 09:56

Hello, you need to set the verbosity to 2 *then* play your dvd.

the reference of the DVD is just the name of the movie, ideally the languare and serial of the dvd (bar code or other number lying around)

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 27 Feb 2018 12:17

Tools > Messages Ctrl+M > Verbosity: [2 (debug)]

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 02 Mar 2018 11:19

Stoogelady,

could you try this build of VLC and report if you're still encountering issues with DVDs

https://framadrop.org/r/_vXtxB2ARv#dy/4 ... e3CypVwx8=

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”