Where do I find authentication information in Windows 7?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
NatalieEGH
New Cone
New Cone

Where do I find authentication information in Windows 7?

Postby NatalieEGH » 26 Jan 2018 03:38

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

I have set up streaming via Windows Media Player on my PC and BubbleUPuP on my tablet, but it only streams my audio files. When I try to stream video files recorded by Windows Media Center, I get an error.

I have downloaded VLC for Android and installed it. I can see my PC in the list and my primary directory for recorded television.

When I click on the folder, I get a box that says: "The computer (Natalie-PC) you are trying to connect to requires authentication. Please provide a username (ideally a domain name using the format DOMAIN;username) and a password. I have checked in the accounts information on Control Panel and I have only one account Natalie and it is an administrator. I have no typos. I have tried entering "Natalie-PC;Natalie" and nothing for the password as I have no password on my PC. I just turn it on and start using it.

Do I need to create a password for Natalie?

Am I entering the username wrong?

I have tried looking at your forums for help but the closest I could find was "https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... rd#p388917" and it did not help me.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Re: Where do I find authentication information in Windows 7?

Postby robUx4 » 26 Jan 2018 11:20

Can you try "guest/guest" or "guest/<no password>" ?

NatalieEGH
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Where do I find authentication information in Windows 7?

Postby NatalieEGH » 26 Jan 2018 19:50

Thank you. You showed using a "/" where the message showed to use a ";". The "/" was the correct punctuation. I was able to sign-on using Natalie-PC/Natalie.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”