Video duplicates

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
ryuhack
New Cone
New Cone

Video duplicates

Postby ryuhack » 26 Dec 2017 11:59

Hello,

I’m using VLC 2.8.7 for iOS on a last-gen 12.9" iPad Pro, and for some reason some of my videos are making self duplicates of themselves, like if I copied & pasted them; I transfer all my videos via iTunes for Windows, if that helps. Also, the amount of copies is variable, but it can range from two copies up to six which is quite strange but annoying nonetheless.

If I tap any of the clone files, the same video is played, and if I delete one of them, the original file is removed along with all the copies. However, if I open again my iTunes to look up at my files, just the one I transferred is displayed.

Hopefully a fix may be on its way. Here’s a link to the screenshot I took of this issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JZ0zk ... dcCVPM0PH3

Greetings and nice holidays!

-C.

titoA
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Video duplicates

Postby titoA » 30 Dec 2017 04:19

Hello,

I’m using VLC 2.8.7 for iOS on a last-gen 9.5" iPad Pro, and for some reason some of my videos are making self duplicates of themselves, like if I copied & pasted them; I transfer all my videos via iTunes for Windows, if that helps. Also, the amount of copies is variable, but it can range from two copies up to six which is quite strange but annoying nonetheless.

If I tap any of the clone files, the same video is played, and if I delete one of them, the original file is removed along with all the copies. However, if I open again my iTunes to look up at my files, just the one I transferred is displayed.

Regards and Happy New Year every one

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dale Vino » 31 Dec 2017 23:38

This happens when file names have characters in them that are beyond the base 127 ASCII character set. They're usually accented characters, like ó.

titoA
New Cone
New Cone

Postby titoA » 03 Jan 2018 12:30

Thanks Dale, Ill Tray to check on that, Happy New Year

caro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby caro » 15 Jan 2018 19:43

Hey everyone,

this issue will be addressed with the next update. We had a hard time reproducing it but found a solution now :)
Stay tuned!

dissymmetry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dissymmetry » 31 Jan 2018 21:28

Maybe it was a filename issue for some, but this certainly isn't the case for me. I double checked every file in my library and none of them have strange characters and the duplication is happening to every file. Here is what the program is doing. Every time I open the app it generates a new thumbnail for every single video in the list. It also lists every file in the main list even though it is present in one of the folders and was not in the main list initially.

What seems to trigger it is one of two things but I can't tell which. Either the number of videos stored in the app data cache (I currently have over 1160 videos stored there) ... or in the memory size of the data cache which is running around 93Gb.

The only way to fix it is to delete and reinstall the app then load a subset of the videos from scratch into the app and not approach these high levels. I will test again with very large video files that exceed the 93GB with a smaller file count.

Carola
Developer
Developer

Postby Carola » 01 Feb 2018 14:23

@dissymmetry are you running the latest version 2.8.9?

dissymmetry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dissymmetry » 01 Feb 2018 16:52

Yes, I keep the app updated as soon as new updates are available. I updated the app and added a couple of more videos so I can't tell if the new video additions were the problem, which is my guess, or the update changed something. Note that reinstalling the app and then reloading the whole library of videos triggers this response every time.

dissymmetry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dissymmetry » 01 Feb 2018 21:47

So I uploaded 54 full length dvd ripped movies into the player on top of 850 other videos with the data cache resulting in about 170GB with no playlist thumbnail duplications. This leads me to believe that it's likely a file count issue.

dissymmetry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dissymmetry » 07 Dec 2018 16:53

Update on this bug that persists. I just upgraded to iPhoneXS and it's doing the same on the new phone. It is not making actual copies of the videos, just duplicate thumbnails or aliases when the file list reaches 1000. When deleting any one of these it deletes the file and all of its aliases. In this state, every time the app tries to generate new thumbnails for files at the opening of the app, it generates a new alias entry for every file in the main list and populates it with a new thumbnail image.

Pondus82
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pondus82 » 11 Dec 2018 09:46

Hello.
Same problem here.
I got the new iPad PRO with 1TB storage.
After loading my VLC with about 900 files all was good.
Then I got cocky and loaded 165 more files, and guese what??????
It started creating thumbnails like crazy.......

So I think that +/- 1000 files is the limit.

How do we contact the vlc team to adress this problem?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 11 Dec 2018 16:28

Hello.
Same problem here.
I got the new iPad PRO with 1TB storage.
After loading my VLC with about 900 files all was good.
Then I got cocky and loaded 165 more files, and guese what??????
It started creating thumbnails like crazy.......

So I think that +/- 1000 files is the limit.

How do we contact the vlc team to adress this problem?
Hi, you can report a bug by creating a ticket here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-ios/issues
As this platform is dedicated to these kind of task, it would have a lot more feedback and be easier for the developers.
They are nice and they answer quite quickly :)

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”