VLC restrictions

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
aitte
Cone that earned his stripes

VLC restrictions

Postby aitte » 15 Jan 2018 18:07

Hi all,

I have been looking for ways to limit the VLC interface and preferences including shortcuts to downsize some of the functionality of the VLC player. In particularly, restrict users from accessing the Tools/Customize Interface... and Tools/Preferences menu options. I have disabled some of the Hotkeys within the Preferences window to stop users from skipping frames, playing video in faster frames such as 1.5x +++, in faster (fine) mode, mousewheel up-down axis control set to ignore, and downsizing the interface by removing some of the toolbar elements such as previous, next, slower and faster.

Is it possible to restrict/disable user access to some or all menu options? If so, can group policy be used to achieve this?

*Using VLC 2.2.3 Weatherwax on Windows 10 64bit platform.*

If this can't be achieved, is there a file/registry edit that can be used which stores changes saved within VLC player for i.e. altered settings, change of hotkeys, removal of widgets from toolbar?

I would appreciate any help/pointers.

Many thanks.

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC restrictions

Postby chouquette » 17 Jan 2018 10:20

I'm afraid this isn't possible without adding code to do so, and I'm not sure this is part of the current roadmap. You might want to open a feature request on https://trac.videolan.org/vlc or if it's for a professional purpose with a tighter deadline, you might want to consider higher a consultant for that (https://www.videolan.org/videolan/partners.html)

aitte

Re: VLC restrictions

Postby aitte » 19 Jan 2018 15:19

Many thanks for your response!

I'll submit a feature request hoping that one day it will be possible to restrict access to certain parts of the interface.

Regards.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”