High Sierra really messes up VLC

macOS specific usage questions
Lilly Begonia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

High Sierra really messes up VLC

Postby Lilly Begonia » 15 Nov 2017 16:08

I had to have the startup disk in one of my Mac Minis replaced at the Apple store. It had been running Sierra, under which VLC worked beautifully, but they put High Sierra on the new disk, and now it doesn't work right any more at all. Now, when I open a video with it I get a big sound-bar window over the video that I never saw before, and the video stalls constantly and pixels out all over the place. This just doesn't work for me at all. I've used VLC Player for years and I love it, I do not want to have to use Quicktime, I hate it. Before this my Apple remote worked flawlessly with VLC, but now the volume control will not work. I have to wonder if Apple did this deliberately to sabotage VLC Player and push us to use Quicktime. All I can think of is to wipe out that startup disk and do a clean install of Sierra 10.12.6 but of course Apple will not help you do that and denies any knowledge of how to do it.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: High Sierra really messes up VLC

Postby dfuhrmann » 15 Nov 2017 19:01

All known problems with high Sierra will be fixed with VLC 2.2.7 which will be released in the next days.

yetisyny
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yetisyny » 01 Dec 2017 00:42

The official version 2.2.8 is out now, it works on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, you can get it here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

It is not on the main website yet, but since the version 2.2.6 on the main website is not compatible with High Sierra, people on High Sierra should just download the latest version 2.2.8. There was also briefly a version 2.2.7 but it was fixed after about a week because of a bug with .AVI files, version 2.2.8 is the fixed version. They will probably update the main website to have version 2.2.8 once it has been tested more and they know it is stable and does not have major bugs. I did a bit of testing of it and did not find any bugs in version 2.2.8 so far but it only came out earlier today, so my tests were not very thorough.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 05 Dec 2017 23:03

Its released on the main website now as well. We plan to enable the autoupdates as well, soon.

supreme2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby supreme2 » 10 Dec 2017 22:17

Well even after installing the 2.2.8 version the problem still remains.There is no audio when i use headphones .The problem is here for way too long and every time it gets fixed it stays that way only till the new software update and comes always comes back (from mountain lion to hight sierra it always comes back).

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 16 Dec 2017 14:40

Well, first you should write which problem you are actually talking about exactly. This thread mentions some, which should be fixed by now.

Likely, your audio setup is broken / problematic in general.

supreme2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby supreme2 » 28 Dec 2017 18:05

I am talking about the fact that although headset and settings are all fine but there is still no sound,

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 29 Dec 2017 17:21

Appearantly not everything is fine... ;-)

You need to be way more detailed with your problem if you want to get help here.

rbridge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rbridge » 04 Feb 2018 23:35

Has anyone also had this problem with High Sierra: the 'control panel' normally seen when one switches to full screen -- has disappeared. How do I get it back?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”