Transform Hotkey to rotate video.

Feature requests for VLC.
joshace
New Cone
New Cone

Transform Hotkey to rotate video.

Postby joshace » 16 Mar 2016 18:53

There needs to be a HOTKEY for the transform function which rotates the video.
Currently to do that requires clicking on
TOOLS
EFFECTS AND FILTERS
VIDEO EFFECTS
TRANSFORM

That's 4 clicks just to rotate the video!
PowerDVD by Cyberlink has a rotation button right on the main toolbar which is fantastic.. except for the fact that PowerDVD locks up and crashes so often.. and trying to advance the position in PowerDVD results in a lockup almost everytime. I hate PowerDVD.. the only reason I keep it is because of the easy transform / rotate video button.
VLC already has this rotation ability, but it is very annoying to have to click 4 times to get to it.

lamoid
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Transform Hotkey to rotate video.

Postby lamoid » 16 Jan 2017 16:43

I agree. This is BS. Users have been asking for this simple and obvious feature for years. As far as I know the developers have said nothing about it. They certainly have not provided it. IMHO VideoLAN has a lousy UI.

laa1234
New Cone
New Cone

Postby laa1234 » 28 Dec 2017 10:35

I had to google 3 times to find out how to rotate on VLC 2.x for macOS - Window -> Video Effects -> Transform

IMO this should be directly available under Video -> Rotate...
Is there a way to add a poll / UI feature request?

L

blackritus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blackritus » 09 Jan 2018 13:06

Disclaimer: This is not a rant. I'm just a bit desparate at that point.

Devs state that their autorotate function is awesome enough and hotkey not necessary. Besides that the current rotation filter would be unreliable/instable.

My experience:
- Autorotate does not always work as there are enough files with incorrect rotation metadata
- There are other reasons to rotate a video which seem to be incorrect to the normal user but make sense in a different setup (e.g. physically turning monitor or things you had to turn your head in reality)
- Rotation has never been flaky for me (ok, I never rotated 4k or streaming content and technically you are right, but why does that prevent making a shortcut? It seems the only reason is to prevent people using that function in fear of a wave of bugreports?)

I mean if you think the function is not good enough it doesn't have to be a default shortcut, but it would be enough to make it possible as a custom shortcut for the more experienced user.
People have requested that function for ages.

Many reasonable arguments were already brought up from users in the official bugtracker:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5261

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Jan 2018 10:42

OK, we'll look at that for 4.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

blackritus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blackritus » 15 Jan 2018 14:31

Hallelujah, thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to it :-)

fartmob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartmob » 17 Feb 2020 16:32

Hi, any further developments on this issue? It looks to me like people have been clamoring for a hotkey rotate capability for at least 8 years, yet the development team resists putting it in. The explanation that auto-rotate should solve the problem, just doesn't cut it. Since autorotate was added, I think back in a 2.x release, people have continued to beg for a hotkey. There are obviously many situations where autorotate doesn't solve the problem. Some of them are that a smartphone video recording might begin with the wrong rotation, but the videographer rotates the phone after the recording started. Or the metadata in the video file may be missing. Or some other reason, but the bottom line is that the vlc user has to dive into the menus and go through 5 clicks to access the rotation transform for whatever reason. In a perfect world, autorotate would be all we need, but only being able to operate in a perfect world seems anathema to the philosophy behind the VLC project. A hotkey would be an end-run around ALL possible problems, since it puts control into the hands of the end-user! Thanks so much for listening!

kelemvor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kelemvor » 11 Oct 2023 23:21

Bump. Was this ever added?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Oct 2023 12:45

Patch welcome.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

djsuperman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djsuperman » 07 Jun 2024 17:44

It has been 8 years since the original post and they still haven't added it!!!
That's a total of 16 years!!!

And now, in 2024 all of my videos comes from TikTok and Instagram, and 50% of the videos are sideways!
It is so annoying to go into the menu just to rotate the video. And when I watch a new video, I have to go into the menu again and rotate it back!
And these videos are 10 to 15 seconds long, so I am doing A LOT of rotating.
It is so annoying it makes me want to find another video player.
You guys need to add a rotate button to the playback toolbar, and add a hotkey, like with Image Viewing Software.

I can't comprehend how this is the best video player, when they can't implement a much needed basic function like rotating a video, after 16 years....

"That's a total of 16 years!!!

And now, in 2024 all of my videos comes from TikTok and Instagram, and 50% of the videos are sideways!
It is so annoying to go into the menu just to rotate the video. And when I watch a new video, I have to go into the menu again and rotate it back!
And these videos are 10 to 15 seconds long, so I am doing A LOT of rotating. It is so annoying it makes me want to find another video player.
You guys need to add a rotate button to the playback toolbar, and add a hotkey, like with Image Viewing Software.

I can't comprehend how this is the best video player, when they can't implement a much needed basic function like rotating a video, after 16 years...."

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”