Delete file option is gone!!

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Dazzep
New Cone
New Cone

Delete file option is gone!!

Postby Dazzep » 17 Oct 2016 05:00

Just a couple of days ago, whenever I wanted to delete a video from my device, I would tap the "three dots" at the right of the individual video and choose the delete option. But the "delete" option has dissapeared! How could I enable the option again? or is it a bug?

Bravotango
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Android

Re: Delete file option is gone!!

Postby Bravotango » 18 Oct 2016 10:05

I think this is a bug. As some times it is there and some times not. Depends on file location and the file I assume.
Hope any information I provide helps :D

andresier
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andresier » 19 Dec 2016 13:36

I do not think this is a bug, because I have seen it change more than once now.

#1. There used to be a 'Delete File' option on the context menu, when you would right click the file (long press), or use the menu option (3 dots).

#2. It moved instead, to exist in the 'Information' view.
i.e. Click on the menu (3 dots) or long-press, go to 'Information', and there was a new icon (a recycle bin), which allowed you to delete the file from there instead.
This never used to exist, so I suspect they moved the option from the context menu, to within the 'Information' view.

However, in the latest update, this option isn't even visible in the 'Information' view, despite me making sure that VLC is fully permissioned.

I found this feature VERY useful, as I often want to delete something after I have seen it. I much preferred when it was readily available on the context menu (to avoid a 2-step process of going to the 'Information' page).
Now the feature isn't there, I am forced to switch to a new app (File Manager), and manually delete it. When I'm watching a TV series, this is often annoying as I have to find the correct episode etc.

PLEASE RESTORE THIS FEATURE!
I find it so useful (and its removal so frustrating), that I registered for this forum especially (and this is my first post), to comment on this!

Cimba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cimba » 01 May 2017 18:26

Are there any news?

Actually, I can also not find a delete button (either in 3points menu or Information page), the permissions are set correctly.

mmccutcheon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mmccutcheon » 16 Oct 2017 02:50

This issue showed up for me when I moved the video files on my device from internal storage to the sd card. I tried copying a file back to internal storage and the option to delete was only available on that file.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Oct 2017 14:48

What Android version is used?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Benhur88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Benhur88 » 17 Nov 2017 16:34

The same for me
We can delete on internal memory bur not in sd card
andoid version 7.1.2

Benhur88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Benhur88 » 17 Nov 2017 16:40

Nota : this was possible before with VLC
Other reader like MX Player still doing it
That very annoying when you can not delete a video after waching it

Benhur88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Benhur88 » 17 Nov 2017 16:44

Last information : on VLC Beta version, you cannot access to the sd card directories ;(

Dekans
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Dekans » 24 Nov 2017 14:16

Last information : on VLC Beta version, you cannot access to the sd card directories ;(
Of course you still can.

Benhur88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Benhur88 » 24 Nov 2017 15:36

Hello
It is not a question, but an affirmation.
You cant develop the sd repertories in files, and no propose on repertories add
Try in android 7 and you will see

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Nov 2017 18:15

You cant develop the sd repertories in files, and no propose on repertories add
Try in android 7 and you will see

Works for me on Android 7.0.

skawtnyc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby skawtnyc » 30 Nov 2017 20:04

I have a Google Pixel phone and a Pixel C tablet. Both are running Android 8.0. VLC version 2.0.6 from the Google Play store has the option to delete videos, both in the 3-dot menu and the information page. The latest version from the Play store, 2.5.12, does not have the delete option. The videos on my devices are on internal storage.

If the delete option is coded into the app, but is dependent upon a certain detection scheme, that detection scheme doesn't work with Android 8.x. My recommendation would be to have the delete option enabled for everyone and get rid of the detection scheme, and let the OS itself decide if movies can be deleted or not. Or perhaps a configuration toggle in settings to force the delete option to be always on, and bypass the detection scheme.

CherylLuz
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 4.0
Operating System: Linux/Win/Android

Postby CherylLuz » 04 Dec 2017 00:54

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the delete feature on SD card from Lollipop version caused crashes due to permission and file access policies changes. And indeed file deletion is disabled completely for now on Oreo, not sure why.

Dekans
Developer
Developer

Postby Dekans » 04 Dec 2017 11:15

Just a couple of days ago, whenever I wanted to delete a video from my device, I would tap the "three dots" at the right of the individual video and choose the delete option. But the "delete" option has dissapeared! How could I enable the option again? or is it a bug?
What's your device? And Android version.

Delete option has been removed only for Oreo device.
Because of new framework/rules to acces. We'll fix Oreo later.

skawtnyc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby skawtnyc » 05 Dec 2017 20:20

I edited my build.prop to trick VLC into thinking I was running Android 7.1.2 and running API 25. I rebooted, and while this did cause problems for a number of apps, I discovered that VLC 2.5.12 worked just fine. I was also able to delete files from the video library within the app. VLC appeared to be stable even with this hack. Obviously I can't use the hack since it breaks a lot of other things, but it proves that the full VLC functionality is available and working on Oreo.

Would it be possible to add a toggle for the Oreo detection in settings for the nightly build? I'm willing to help test and report bugs.

Remi32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Remi32 » 06 Dec 2017 02:39

I also don't see how to delete video files now that I updated versions. My OS is Android 7.1.1 and VLC is 2.5.12. It plays videos fine but there doesn't appear to be a way to delete the videos now once you've watched them.

poop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby poop » 06 Dec 2017 07:15

No delete option anywhere to be found on my Nexus 6P w/ Android 8.0
Not sure if it was a recent VLC update or when my phone updated to 8.0.
Also my video files seem to stop/exit for some reason.

Hope this is fixed

hujic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hujic » 06 Dec 2017 20:20

On my rooted Android 5.0 smartphone, MX Player can delete files from the SD Card, but VLC 2.5.12 can not. It's bug?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Dec 2017 00:11

On my rooted Android 5.0 smartphone, MX Player can delete files from the SD Card, but VLC 2.5.12 can not. It's bug?
Yes. There is clearly an issue here. We're investigating.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Dekans
Developer
Developer

Postby Dekans » 07 Dec 2017 09:16

Framework limitation again, we may add it but it's not user friendly…

Thus, we do not support root features.

Dekans
Developer
Developer

Postby Dekans » 07 Dec 2017 09:18

I edited my build.prop to trick VLC into thinking I was running Android 7.1.2 and running API 25. I rebooted, and while this did cause problems for a number of apps, I discovered that VLC 2.5.12 worked just fine. I was also able to delete files from the video library within the app. VLC appeared to be stable even with this hack. Obviously I can't use the hack since it breaks a lot of other things, but it proves that the full VLC functionality is available and working on Oreo.

Would it be possible to add a toggle for the Oreo detection in settings for the nightly build? I'm willing to help test and report bugs.
Good to know, I suggest you to join the Google+ community, I'm more reachable there. https://plus.google.com/communities/113 ... 7012455563

And during beta we had a lot of crash reports showing deleting on Oreo was not always OK. But we'll fix this.

lynx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lynx » 07 Dec 2017 17:59

Yes. There is clearly an issue here. We're investigating.
Same as all the others,

I use VLC as my primary video player, and have been using the delete option on an daily basis. It´s a mess switching to ES file explorer to locate the video just played and delete it, even more when you´ve got a whole season of chapters.

Running 5.01 smartphone.

Thx for your attention,

lynx

skawtnyc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby skawtnyc » 07 Dec 2017 18:35

Good to know, I suggest you to join the Google+ community, I'm more reachable there. https://plus.google.com/communities/113 ... 7012455563

And during beta we had a lot of crash reports showing deleting on Oreo was not always OK. But we'll fix this.
I'll join the group later today. Keep in mind that I am only using internal storage, not external SD card or USB stick over OTG, so you shouldn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to enable it. I'm aware of the programming issues for handling read/write on external storage. As I said, I'm willing and available to help with real-time testing if you need it.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Dec 2017 00:46

I'll join the group later today. Keep in mind that I am only using internal storage, not external SD card or USB stick over OTG, so you shouldn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to enable it. I'm aware of the programming issues for handling read/write on external storage. As I said, I'm willing and available to help with real-time testing if you need it.

If you are using internal storage, then this is a bug, and nothing else. We don't delete on SD and OTG, because Android APIs are a mess for this. But internal memory should always work.

If not, open a bugreport.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”