display title & chapter numbers for DVD ?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes

display title & chapter numbers for DVD ?

Postby cybmole » 16 Jul 2010 08:43

the only way that I can see of finding current title & chapter values during DVD playback is to go to playback drop down menu - then to sub menus ( twice) to see what is highlighted for each of title & chapter.

is there a quicker / easier way to get this info on screen or into main toolbar interface ? ( info needed when planning what sections to rip to video )

I'd also like to get fine speed controls into toolbar/ full screen interface but there are no symbols for those ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: display title & chapter numbers for DVD ?

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jul 2010 17:00

No to first. To second, slower and faster buttons are only ones available.

cybmole

Postby cybmole » 16 Jul 2010 18:58

ok thanks - are those features on any wish lists for future versions ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Jul 2010 14:02

AFAIK no.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 22 Jul 2015 20:15

the only way that I can see of finding current title & chapter values during DVD playback is to go to playback drop down menu - then to sub menus ( twice) to see what is highlighted for each of title & chapter.

is there a quicker / easier way to get this info on screen or into main toolbar interface ? ( info needed when planning what sections to rip to video )
No.
What an incredibly unsatisfying answer. The literal wording of the question may have been “is there a way?”, but it was clearly asking for a way. If there isn’t a way, why isn’t there a way and how long until there will be? Title and chapter information is a pretty basic and useful piece of information to have and users should not have to jump to through inconvenient hoops to get it.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jul 2015 17:33

You can get them easily, not in the toolbar.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Gaelmare
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gaelmare » 20 Sep 2015 05:57

Great! How? This feature seems to have gone away between 2.1.6 and 2.2.2. The Title used to be highlighted in the Playback title submenu, and now it is not. Where is this information? VLC was my go to software to get a DVD with 99 tracks to show me which one was actually going to work. Now what?

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 20 Sep 2015 06:30

Exactly. This basic information is indeed available, but only by jumping through hoops. Worse, when you right-click the video and select a sub-menu, it often ends up opening a different sub-menu before you can select a sub-sub-menu, so in addition to having to jump through hoops, you have to do it slowly and carefully. Therefore instead of having quick access to basic information, you essentially have to play one of those hand-eye-coordination type games where you have to carefully maneuver through a narrow tunnel. That is hardly user-friendly, especially since there is no reason for not making the information more easily accessible.

Like Gaelmare said, VLC is my preferred video software, but I find it incredibly frustrating that the devs are so resistant and even hostile to feedback. Please do not become another Google. If people can dump Chrome, which started out so magnificent, then they can dump VLC too. That would be a shame.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Oct 2015 15:59

Great! How? This feature seems to have gone away between 2.1.6 and 2.2.2. The Title used to be highlighted in the Playback title submenu, and now it is not. Where is this information? VLC was my go to software to get a DVD with 99 tracks to show me which one was actually going to work. Now what?
What's your exact problem? I don't understand.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Oct 2015 16:00

Exactly. This basic information is indeed available, but only by jumping through hoops. Worse, when you right-click the video and select a sub-menu, it often ends up opening a different sub-menu before you can select a sub-sub-menu, so in addition to having to jump through hoops, you have to do it slowly and carefully. Therefore instead of having quick access to basic information, you essentially have to play one of those hand-eye-coordination type games where you have to carefully maneuver through a narrow tunnel. That is hardly user-friendly, especially since there is no reason for not making the information more easily accessible.

Like Gaelmare said, VLC is my preferred video software, but I find it incredibly frustrating that the devs are so resistant and even hostile to feedback. Please do not become another Google. If people can dump Chrome, which started out so magnificent, then they can dump VLC too. That would be a shame.
Devs are not resistent and hostile.

However, seeing YOUR feedback, it's very easy to understand why we don't answer to you.

If you want people to fix your issues, explain them simple, concise and clear.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

tdevereaux
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tdevereaux » 04 Nov 2017 01:40

Please explain the "easy" steps to view the current title and chapter

bderoes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bderoes » 05 Oct 2020 23:28

almost 3 years later (since the last reply; 10 since the original post), and I have the same question:
is there a way to display the title # and chapter #, other than the Playback dropdowns?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 06 Oct 2020 15:32

almost 3 years later (since the last reply; 10 since the original post), and I have the same question:
is there a way to display the title # and chapter #, other than the Playback dropdowns?

I don't see a problem here. Any user who knows how to use a mouse can employ the context menu (right click) to find what they need at the drop of a hat.

Clicking Playback ---> Title ---> DVD Menu will take you back to the picture menu.

The other options are clearly visible in the menus.

jesus2099
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jesus2099 » 18 Nov 2020 15:18

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”