Streaming from VLC on Mac to Apple TV

macOS specific usage questions
yacob841
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming from VLC on Mac to Apple TV

Postby yacob841 » 13 Feb 2017 18:53

Hello, I don't know if this is a troubleshooting or feature request but I am basically trying to stream from VLC on my Mac to VLC on my Apple TV without setting up any media servers. I know you can do remote streaming on the Apple TV, go to a web browser, type in the URL and then drag and drop the video to play on the Apple TV. I was wondering if I could just build a playlist in the VLC app on the computer and just stream that to the TV some way. I tried the convert/stream method and put the URL there but that just froze my computer for 30 minutes before I just shut it off. Any ideas or if this is even possible? Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you shortly!

DonBn08
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Streaming from VLC on Mac to Apple TV

Postby DonBn08 » 09 Aug 2017 01:58

I saw a YT video using a PC "apple tv 4 nas hack" that shows how to create VLC IOS playlists maybe you can do something similar.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: Streaming from VLC on Mac to Apple TV

Postby ajmas » 09 Aug 2017 15:27

Another method is to use AirPlay, as offered by MacOS X. This Apple support document explains how: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201343

As far as I am aware there is no Chromecast or AirPlay support provided by the VLC application.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”