Can't change subtitles color for DVD

macOS specific usage questions
lichee
New Cone
New Cone

Can't change subtitles color for DVD

Postby lichee » 24 Jul 2017 04:41

Hi,

I have a Region 1 DVD of anime and I tried changing the subtitles color, but it won't change.

I tried going to VLC > Preferences > Subtitles / OSD and changing the font color. I tried the same thing in the advanced "Show All" version of the Preferences. I tried using the dropdown menu during playback. I tried restarting the app (several times). I tried restarting my computer. I also tried downloading the newest version of VLC player for OS X. Nothing seems to work.

The directions for changing subtitle color had given me the impression that it was possible to change it: https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adj ... _settings/ -- "Font settings cannot be changed for rich text (e.g. ASS) or bitmap (e.g. DVD) subtitle formats."

Is there something that could be getting in the way of changing this setting? I feel like I've reached the limits of my abilities on this one. I did try searching to see if others had this issue but found contradictory results (some people seemed to have this issue, but never mentioned it as related to a DVD and usually the steps I tried had helped them). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Machine: MacBook Air (early 2015)
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8GB

VLC: 2.2.6 (also tried it with 2.2.0)

Thank you,
lichee

garf
Developer
Developer

Re: Can't change subtitles color for DVD

Postby garf » 25 Jul 2017 10:29

Hello,

unfortunately, DVD subtitles are in a bitmap (picture) format, and not in a text format.
As a consequence, you cannot change the color of the font.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”