HDHomeRun connect and vlc

*nix specific usage questions
grumpycat
New Cone
New Cone

HDHomeRun connect and vlc

Postby grumpycat » 16 Jul 2017 20:29

Are there any walkthroughs on how to stream media to vlc on a linux machine from a HDHomeRunConnect device on my local network?

1) US ATSC broadcast format. TV Stations to HDHomeRunConnect. I see the device on my network and can ping it from my linux machine.
2) I poked around in the capture device tab of vlc mediaplayer but I am not seeing relevant options.
3) I can see tv when accessing it through the offical hdhomerun clients on windows and android. I want to use linux.

I can hear stations in kodi when I use the official pvr add on for hdhomerun connect but cannot see the video stream. Thought I might try and use a different client to troubleshoot that issue.

grumpycat
New Cone
New Cone

Re: HDHomeRun connect and vlc

Postby grumpycat » 16 Jul 2017 20:47

Hmmmm, possibly helpful.....

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1924

Time to put on my geek goggles... If I can now just ignore my wife for the next two hours.

grumpycat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grumpycat » 16 Jul 2017 22:30

Ok, so answering my own question... The previous post seems to be out of date.

To do this. On your linux machine

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config discover
On my linux machine this responded with the device id and ip address of my hdhomerun device.

hdhomerun device XXXXXXXX found at 192.168.1.XX
Next open a terminal - CTL-ALT T on ubuntu usually....
at the terminal enter the following

firefox http://192.168.1.XX

or

google-chrome http://192.168.1.XX

where 192.168.1.XX is the value hdhomerun_config responded with in step 1.
This brings up your device's configuration menu. From here you can either rescan your channels or view the channel lineup.
(Now is a very good time to save a bookmark in your browser).

Click on Channel Lineup
Move the mouse cursor to one of the channels. In the bottom left corner of the browser it will show you the url of the stream for each individual channel. Right-click on the bottom left corner and copy the link address.

Now open vlc

Click on Media - Then Open Network Stream(CTL-N). Paste..... Hit enter (voila!). To switch channels just hit CTL-N change the url and hit enter again.

Maybe there is a way to set up bookmarks in vlc. (Checking..) :D

If there isn't then I am sure I can do it in kodi.....

grumpycat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grumpycat » 20 Jul 2017 04:18

As a followup: If you are using kodi on linux and want to use vlc as your default player for internet streams and mpg files. Here is an example kodi configuration file. It is currently working for me. Then just add your hdhomerun device in kodi as a upnp source. Very handy. This bridges kodi and vlc media player for anyone who wants to pick and choose their player(s) in kodi.

Save it in your home directory in .kodi/userdata/playercorefactory.xml

<playercorefactory> <players> <player name="VLC Media Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true"> <filename>/usr/bin/vlc</filename> <args>"{1}"</args> <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc> <hideconsole>false</hideconsole> <warpcursor>none</warpcursor> </player> </players> <rules action="prepend"> <rule filetypes="mpg" filename="*.*" player="VLC Media Player"/> <rule internetstream="true" player="VLC Media Player" /> </rules> </playercorefactory>

airdrummer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5,2.1.4
Operating System: osx,linux

Postby airdrummer » 10 Jan 2019 16:55

finally getting back to this...i've abandoned kodi/osmc, as they are too unstable:-\
i found https://github.com/demonrik/HDHR-DVRUI/tree/master/app which gives streaming links to recordings on the hdhr record engine, and the big problem is the play links try to d/l the file in the browser...i'm looking into branching to send the play url to vlc on my minimac dvr instead. seeking is still problematic, the timeline can be dragged to a diff. loc, but +30/-7sec jumps don't work on streams:-\
and pausing live tv works, but seeking isn't...

after i get those issues sorted, i'll work on creating recording rules via titantv .tvpi & .tvvi (livetv)

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”