Stop VLC from resizing window?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ETMegabyte
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Stop VLC from resizing window?

Postby ETMegabyte » 21 Nov 2008 07:52

Hello,

Is there a way to set up VLC to scale the video to the current window size instead of resetting to 1:1? I looked all over the place, and can't figure it out. If it helps, I'm currently running 0.9.6.

For instance. I play FILEA.AVI. It's a 352x240 video, but I want it bigger, so I drag the bottom right corner to make the window bigger, then I get bored with that video, and double-click FILEB.AVI, VLC will resize the window back to whatever resolution FILEB.AVI is at, instead of auto-stretching the video to the size that I've dragged the window...

It would be cool to have a setting to act as it does currently, or be able to switch it to scale the video to the current window size. If that setting is already there, I've been unable to find it...

Thanks

-ET

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Stop VLC from resizing window?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Nov 2008 10:45

Force it to in the preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ETMegabyte
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ETMegabyte » 21 Nov 2008 20:23

That's the problem, I've not been able to figure out WHICH preference it is.

-ET

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Nov 2008 19:20

Video width and Video height

ETMegabyte
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ETMegabyte » 22 Nov 2008 21:09

I had looked at that. -1 seems to resize the window to whatever height the new video is at. 0 seems to do the same thing. Positive numbers force the window to be a specific size. I've not been able to figure out how to make it not resize at all (aka leave the window size alone, and scale the video to whatever size the window is currently at)....

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Nov 2008 19:09

That isn't possible. You can only specify the absolute size.

qwango
New Cone
New Cone

Postby qwango » 08 Mar 2012 05:39

i was having the same problem... IT IS POSSIBLE and it is a classic case of K.I.S.S.

VLC v.1.1.11
in menu go to: TOOLS>PREFERENCES

at bottom left make sure SHOW SETTINGS is set to SIMPLE

while in the INTERFACE tab find where it says LOOK AND FEEL

uncheck RESIZE INTERFACE TO VIDEO SIZE

MrPuzzleBox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MrPuzzleBox » 08 Jul 2017 15:58

I'm here 5 years later and dealing with the exact same sloppy interface problem. Fuk'n rude fullscreen startup with no controls on the window's upper corner.
This software is obviously a joke. No serious programmers would allow these interface bugs to go on and on for years unaddressed.
If the coders are this sloppy - what other stupidity-bugs lurk?
The best feature of this program is the UNINSTALL feature.

chouquette
Developer
Developer

Postby chouquette » 11 Jul 2017 10:54

Feel free to stop using a software that was provided for free with no strings attached.

Even better, report your issue clearly and we can take a look, because as far as I can see, there is a preference that addresses the problem.

abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrogard » 21 Sep 2017 02:18

Yep, very rude and crude criticizing VLC. I agree. I've always found it to be a totally exceptional piece of work and I feel incredibly privileged to be in a world where such software can be got for free...... you know? in a world that's otherwise full of nasty, greedy, brutal, every kind of bad thing?

Got to admit though that it's started happening to my VLC, too, that it starts up full screen and I can't even grab the corner and resize it with my mouse.

Can't seem to do anything about it.

Tried that 'uncheck resize interface' and it didn't help.

Bit of a nuisance because it blocks me from using the desktop, other open apps, it in effect takes over the whole machine. While I'm watching VLC that's all I can do. :)

marleymarl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby marleymarl » 31 Dec 2017 04:52

I managed to fixed this problem by pushing "F11"

It bought up the top bar with the icons.

I only signed up to share this information, thanks for the awesome app.

Freonpsandoz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Freonpsandoz » 09 Apr 2020 07:57

Unchecking "resize interface to video size" doesn't really fix the problem. When F11 is pressed, VLC still creates a type of maximized window, called "fullscreen interface," that can't be resized. F11 then toggles between the maximized window and the smaller window. This maximized window is not the same as the standard maximized window (which also has a title bar) produced by clicking the icon in the upper right, selecting maximize from the title bar menu or pressing Windows+up arrow. (Although the function performed by F11 is often referred to as toggling "fullscreen," the maximized window has a menu bar at the top and controls at the bottom, so it's not really fullscreen.)

It's actually Ctrl-H that toggles fullscreen on and off, but only when the window is the "fullscreen interface" version produced by F11, not any other window mode. And F11 does nothing in fullscreen mode; Ctrl-H or ESC must be pressed to get back to the maximized window before F11 will reduce the window size.

Selecting "fullscreen" from the "Video" menu does go directly to fullscreen mode from any window mode, but there's no keyboard shortcut for it. Also, it's easy to confuse this menu item with the "fullscreen interface" menu item on the "View" menu, which does the same as F11. Further, neither Ctrl-H nor F11 has any effect when fullscreen mode is entered from the "Video" menu, so it's more difficult to get back out of that mode.

The capabilities are tremendous, but I don't think I could make the windowing interface less intuitive if I tried. It's really difficult when trying to play a video on a TV connected as a 2nd monitor, because I can't see the cursor and menu items clearly and I must rely on the keyboard.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 09 Apr 2020 12:34

I don't see a problem here. Just use the full screen button on the taskbar to go fullscreen. To get the toolbar back again just move the mouse.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”