Audio stuttering/skipping every 5-8 seconds

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Sunfunmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Audio stuttering/skipping every 5-8 seconds

Postby Sunfunmaster » 09 Feb 2017 17:09

What's going on? I've used VLC Media player for YEARS. I've never had this problem before. This is on the same computer I've used it on for years. Nothing changed. Not my audio setup, not the ports I even used them in, and I certainly haven't touched any VLC media player settings. I hadn't updated for quite some time and decided to update one day and ever since, it's been doing this.

Here's what I've already done and DOESN'T Work:
-Restarted my computer
-Reinstalled VLC media player, deleting preferences, three times
-Uninstalled then reinstalled and still deleting preference
-Trying the older versions, I tried out 4 or 5 older versions
-Changed output module to every option available, with no luck.
-Tried 32 bit version (instead of 64 bit)

So tell me, what can I do to fix VLC media player? What is wrong? I love VLC media player, and I hate that I can't enjoy my music anymore and for seemingly no reason whatsoever. If this can't be fixed, I'd like a suggestion to a new media player similar to VLC.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Audio stuttering/skipping every 5-8 seconds

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Feb 2017 10:35

Try another audio output module:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... _anomalies

If it doesn't help then try to reset the preferences:
https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

Sunfunmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sunfunmaster » 10 Feb 2017 15:33

Like I said, I already tried both.

Sunfunmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sunfunmaster » 10 Feb 2017 15:34

I've literally done everything you can imagine and more. I've changed output modules, I've reinstalled, I've uninstalled then reinstalled, I've tried the 32 bit version, I've deleted preferences every time, I manually deleted the VLC folder from Program Files, I tried like 4 or 5 older versions, and I did try every single output module on every single version.

I really love VLC media player. But I'm about to have to give it up.

Sunfunmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sunfunmaster » 10 Feb 2017 15:38

And I've also confirmed this is only a problem in VLC media player. No other player has this issue. It's something on VLC's end. And I am scratching my head as to what. As, like I said, I changed absolutely nothing, I just updated one day and it started doing this irreversibly. That's why I never update. Can never trust updates.

Sunfunmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sunfunmaster » 10 Feb 2017 15:46

I saw a post in here in the Linux section changing something about timing - and it seemed to have worked with this user upon everything else failing, which is my circumstance. Trust me, I've googled this. That output module is definitely 100% not the problem. Nor is it my preferences. I've made absolute sure of that multiple times.

They mentioned something about changing something to 1000 ms delay.

VictorD2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VictorD2 » 01 Sep 2020 22:36

I am having the same problem but it only occurs while streaming a certain site's videos. Doesn't occur (knock on wood) streaming YT or DM.
Have installed a few different versions of VLC, tried various suggested tweaks, but, haven't tried another media player yet.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 02 Sep 2020 13:12

Go to Device Manager in whatever version of Windows you're using and expand the tree to "Sound, video and game controllers". Right click the audio controller - usually Realtek - and click Uninstall.

Next click the "Action" button at the top and click "Scan for hardware changes" to reinstall the drivers. Corruption in the audio controller will usually cause stuttering.

If you see a yellow circle with a black exclamation mark anywhere it means that there's a problem with that device. If instead of a yellow circle it's a white cross inside a red circle it means the device is disabled.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”