Crashing everytime I set capture mode to Desktop?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
nobodyhome
New Cone
New Cone

Crashing everytime I set capture mode to Desktop?

Postby nobodyhome » 18 Mar 2016 06:16

I got it to work once a long while ago, but recently no matter what I try VLC crashes when I try to record my screen by selecting Convert/Save, setting the capture mode to Desktop, and selecting ANY of the encoding profiles.

When I re-open VLC it asks if I want to submit a crash report, but even that doesn't go through. "There was a problem connecting to the FTP server." or something.

Is there something I unknowingly messed up on my computer? Is it VLC itself? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Oh, I run Windows 7, 64-bit. Let me know if more info is needed.

TonyK132
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Crashing everytime I set capture mode to Desktop?

Postby TonyK132 » 08 Apr 2016 15:18

Hello - I have this problem also using VLC 2.2.2. Is there a technique for capturing a windows desktop and streaming it out to port 8081 that does work with VLC without it crashing? I have Win8.1. I want to send that stream using Serviio to a Samsung TV.
Thanks,
Tony

jt_roberts
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jt_roberts » 08 Aug 2016 23:10

Same here.... I'm running Ver 2.2.4..... No luck with streaming desktop.... I have followed this link to the letter....

https://software.grok.lsu.edu/article.a ... leid=14625

Can anyone point out where I have gone wrong or give me another link to try...

GeoC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GeoC » 10 Aug 2016 17:13

I have the same problem, running VLC 2.2.1 under Windows 10. I'm not using the latest version since it incorrectly captures frames from a 16x9 movie in 4x3 format. However, it's been 5 months after the post about this problem by nobodyhome, and the problem is still not fixed, nor has VLC come up with a fix or a workaround.
I spent a day following instructions from various YouTube videos and postings about "How to use VLC for screen capture without crashing." None of them worked. Since no solution appears imminent, Is there any way to publicize the fact that VLC IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING SCREEN CAPTURE WITHOUT CRASHING, so that other people aren't misled by this misleading information about VLC's capabilities?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Aug 2016 11:37

2.2.5 will fix the screen capture crash.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

drbruin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby drbruin » 21 Oct 2016 18:19

I have the same problem. Everytime I hit start for the convert/save, it immediately crashes. I tried it on 3 different computers, 2 of which are very good and expensive computers, one being a gaming computer and nothing makes a difference. I get the same messages as nobodyhome. I see the post that says 2.2.5 will fix it. Where is 2.2.5. I'm updated and its only 2.2.4

drbruin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby drbruin » 21 Oct 2016 18:20

Its clearly been months and this is still not resolved so my question is if it is the program, will it ever be corrected?

jupissb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jupissb » 18 Jan 2017 06:04

Jean-Baptiste, any idea about the timing of 2.2.5 release?
I have the same problem, windows 10 1511 64b, VLC 2.2.4
BTW this is an example of a customer support as it should be. A problem is posted, a VLC developer acknowledges the problem and offers a solution. Try this at the support forums of any of the paid services (e.g. microsoft).

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 18 Jan 2017 12:04

Use 2.1.5

ProtonEnergy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ProtonEnergy » 22 Jan 2017 06:51

2.2.5 will fix the screen capture crash.
I've posted another topic on a similar problem which is merely trying to capture the integrated camera (as opposed to entire desktop). On a laptop running windows 7 and vlc version 2.2.4 it works as intended. On my own laptop which is running windows 10, VLC v2.2.4 crashes whenever I try to capture from the integrated camera, and thereafter I get the same error described above about the report not getting received by FTP servers. Windows 10 does not "see" VLC in the list of available apps that can use the integrated camera. further details here... https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=137131

I've tried the nightly build v2.2.5 and the problem still persists with the integrated camera capture. It seems like an awkward workaround to capture the integrated camera (or perhaps an ext usb camera?) to fullscreen using some other application and then use vlc to capture the screen for either streaming or display.
Last edited by ProtonEnergy on 22 Jan 2017 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

ProtonEnergy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ProtonEnergy » 22 Jan 2017 06:54

I have the same problem. Everytime I hit start for the convert/save, it immediately crashes. I tried it on 3 different computers, 2 of which are very good and expensive computers, one being a gaming computer and nothing makes a difference. I get the same messages as nobodyhome. I see the post that says 2.2.5 will fix it. Where is 2.2.5. I'm updated and its only 2.2.4
v2.2.5 is a nightly build...

https://nightlies.videolan.org/

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 22 Jan 2017 14:21

Have you try it already with version 2.1.5 ?

Synful
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Synful » 03 Feb 2017 16:06

Hi!
I'm having the same crash issue and have been since the release of 2.2.4. I've tried reverting back to 2.1.5, but my company automatically updates it back to 2.2.4 and I have no control over them automatically updating the software on my computer. Unfortunately, I'm not authorized to use nightly builds due to their instability, so having a stable version available that fixes the crash issue is critical to completing my work in a timely manner.

Kat183
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kat183 » 22 Feb 2017 01:55

Same thing was happening to me. I uninstalled version 2.2.4 and installed version 2.1.5. When installing it does ask you if you want to keep automatic updates active, just untick this and you should be fine.
I've tested the older version and it works just fine.

silvanet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby silvanet » 25 Jun 2017 18:30

Yikes, I see many posts with this same problem and ZERO solution replies over a long period of time. Does ANYONE know how to use VLC to be able to record and comment over your desktop activity? This would be most useful if it ever worked. I've tried pretty much everything and it NEVER works.

robert.pirker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby robert.pirker » 02 Sep 2017 09:40

Using VLC media player 2.2.6. Umbrella and still get the same crash problem. OS is Windows 8.1 on an Acer Aspire S7. Searched for hours on the net but no luck... Appreciate any helpful ideas

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”