VLC and Windows Media Server

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
sabeth

VLC and Windows Media Server

Postby sabeth » 05 Dec 2005 11:19

Hi everyone!

Is it possible to stream from VLC to the Windows Media Server?

Thanks!

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 05 Dec 2005 12:44

Hello,

Yes it is, using "MMSH" as access, "ASFH" as output. You might need to transcode video to "DIV3". You can get more information by searching the forum, that already contains several detailed answers for this question.
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

sabeth

Postby sabeth » 05 Dec 2005 13:54

Sorry, but I can't find anything helpfull about the Media Server!

I read an article about Jon Johansen who found the key for the .nsc file and the implementation is in work. But I also read in another forum about using VLC and the Media Server! And I read that the new version does this: Windows Media Server RTSP support
But I couldn't find any explaination what this means!

Thats why I'm confused!

I want to stream a dvb-t signal from the vlc media player to a windows media server! I tried this by using http but it didn't work....

Thanks

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 05 Dec 2005 23:46

VLC to Windows Media Server only works for Win2000 not Win2003 yet (?), the server simply disconnects. DIV3 or any WMV1/2/3 for video should work and mp3 or wma for audio.

The .nsc files are used for multicast streaming and generated on a Windows Media Server (and basically hold the announcement info or rather IP and port info where the stream is to be found). VLC is not yet able to read/support those. WM RTSP is partially supported for reception but not for output. See: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/329

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”