VLC Media Player jumps to foreground, if the next video of a playlist is played back. How do I keep VLC minimized?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
TechLord
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Media Player jumps to foreground, if the next video of a playlist is played back. How do I keep VLC minimized?

Postby TechLord » 18 Dec 2016 22:55

Hello, everybody.
I hope, that this is the correct place to post my question. I have been using VLC Media Player pretty often during the previous years, but am pretty new to this forum board, so please explain any mistakes I do to me, and please move my thread to the correct place. Thank you, :)

First of all, I really appreciate all the work put into this program. I generally try to rely as much as possible on open-sourced software, because they always have a nice, open ﴾answering questions, giving support, etc.﴿, productive ﴾contributing to the program﴿ and friendly community. While using VLC, I have collected many feature/improvement suggestions, that I will post in the forums. Some of them have maybe already been implemented by the time I suggest them (e.g. only pause at last frame, if the played file is a video. Not for audio.)

I hope my question not to be considered as dumb. I have a little problem:

If I play videos back in the background (VLC is minimized or in the system tray), it jumps into the foreground, as soon as the next video from the playlist starts playing, or if I skip the current file. This only happens for videos (it does not matter, whether the video file has audio tracks or not) and not for audio files.

I would like VLC not to jump into the foreground, and I already looked into the settings. I tried adjusting some options, and restart VLC after that, but it did not help.

Does anybody know, which setting I have to adjust in order to keep VLC in the background?
Thank you for considering my quesion. Any friendly answer is appreciated.

TechLord
New Cone
New Cone

Disabling Video

Postby TechLord » 18 Dec 2016 23:28

Please let me add, that yesterday [add link here], I have done some research. It is possible to keep VLC minimized by disabling video rendering.
I forgot to mention, that I would like to know a way of solving that problem without disabling video rendering.

Again, great thanks.
[Signature]

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC Media Player jumps to foreground, if the next video of a playlist is played back. How do I keep VLC minimized?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Dec 2016 00:12

Yeah, so far, there is no other way.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TechLord
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Media Player jumps to foreground, if the next video of a playlist is played back. How do I keep VLC minimized?

Postby TechLord » 22 Dec 2016 01:17

Yeah, so far, there is no other way.
Alright, great thanks for your reply.

I hope that feature to be implemented soon, where I can play videos in the background and treat them like music. I really appreciate your answer and your work into VideoLAN. Great thanks
	—theTechLord

fikebr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fikebr » 13 Mar 2018 17:08

This also has another very annoying affect. I have 3 monitors and put VLC in one while I work on the other two. When I play a list of videos, every time VLC goes to the next video it takes control. If I'm in the middle of typing I have to stop switch back to my text editor. I love VLC and have used it for years but this is a deal breaker for me. If I cannot find a fix I will abandon VLC.

FYI this has only been happening since I upgraded to 3.0.0

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Mar 2018 23:42

This also has another very annoying affect. I have 3 monitors and put VLC in one while I work on the other two. When I play a list of videos, every time VLC goes to the next video it takes control. If I'm in the middle of typing I have to stop switch back to my text editor. I love VLC and have used it for years but this is a deal breaker for me. If I cannot find a fix I will abandon VLC.

FYI this has only been happening since I upgraded to 3.0.0
There is an option to decide of the behavior on songs/video change in 3.0.0.

On purpose.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

user4962
New Cone
New Cone

Postby user4962 » 01 Apr 2022 18:23

There is an option to decide of the behavior on songs/video change in 3.0.0.

On purpose.

Where can I find it? (in 3.0.17)

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 02 Apr 2022 07:25

I see under Interface -> Main Interfaces -> QT, an option at the bottom "when to raise the interface". Might be it.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”