Open folder shortcut within player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Open folder shortcut within player

Postby videobruce » 05 Dec 2016 14:02

Is there a way to have a quick one button (click) access to open a (user selectable) folder like there is for the playlist WITHIN the player?? I don't mean the 'Open Media' shortcut that only allows you open a single file. I need a entire folder without jumping thru hoops.

I did a search and found posts for command lines to work OUTSIDE of the player (in Windows) but that is of no use once the player is already open. Yes, I know you can go to Menu/ Media/ Open Folder, but that shouldn't be necessary and is a pain. I have been using Light Alloy Player, but it's full of playback video bugs that have never gotten fixed, BUT it does have a context menu with "Open Folder" at the top of the list which is ideal.

Is there a way to add 'Open Folder' above 'Play' to the right click (within the player) context menu, or a way to add a 'Open Folder' icon to the Main Toolbar?? Thanks in advance.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Open folder shortcut within player

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Dec 2016 02:11

So far, no.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Re: Open folder shortcut within player

Postby videobruce » 06 Dec 2016 14:47

Thanks for the reply.
A 'Open Folder' icon for the navigation bar would help. Same goes for the 'Open Media' dialog box that only has a 'Open File' tab. The basic function is flawed, one shouldn't have to do numerous steps to get to folders. :wink:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”