How do I bleeping close it?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Sqrly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How do I bleeping close it?

Postby Sqrly » 18 Oct 2016 00:12

I'm using vlc for android from the play store. I have just one major freaking complaint.

When I close the app, it doesn't fkn close, it moves to my notifications instead of closing. I tap the notification and it opens the full app again, I go around in fkn circles a few times and it finally closes.

I DO NOT want it to move elsewhere when I try to close it, I want it to close.

If I'm missing some setting or doing something wrong please let me know.

If this behavior is intentional, then please fix it as it's very irritating to have a program do what it wants instead of what I want..

Bravotango
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Android

Re: How do I bleeping close it?

Postby Bravotango » 18 Oct 2016 10:12

Don't close by home button. You need to use back button just keep pressing until you get back to your home page. Or when it in notifications there may be a 'X'. that may depend on phone model.

I do think this may be a bug. As in settings it set to not play in background.
Hope any information I provide helps :D

Sqrly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sqrly » 18 Oct 2016 17:59

Yes, it is a bug. FYI "play videos in background is unchecked" but.... I'm playing audio not video.

I do press the back button until I get to my home screen and and that gets me a VLC interface in my notifications.

I tap the vlc notifications and it opens the full app again.

Then I mash the back again until I get to my home screen and the app is just minimized not closed.

I hold the home button and then tap the X on VLC and it minimizes but does not close.

I hold the home button then hit the "close all" button (Android 6.0 on a Posh L520) after going through the "mash back button" routine twice, and the app is finally closed, usually. Sometimes I must go through this whole routine several times.

Please just make it close like every other app.

SiliconPaperweight
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SiliconPaperweight » 15 Dec 2016 12:03

This.
I thought I was going mad, but it seems I'm not the only one. Sqrly described the problem pretty accurately so I won't repeat it.

I have a huawei G6-L11 android 4.4.2, it's rooted and I only use vlc for audio.

I really like vlc, and not just because it has no commercials. On pc I have been using vlc for a long time and I've always been very satisfied with it.
It is very weird that a developed brand like vlc suffers from such a bug, as it is something I would sooner expect from the more malicious kind of software. Please fix it.

Dekans
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Dekans » 05 Jan 2017 14:24

First of, you don't close apps on Android, they are just paused.

Icon persists if a media is currently loaded. You can still swipe the notification (or click its 'x' button on older android versions) if you want to stop the service.

Next VLC version is set to be less persistent.

pro tip: if you want to really STOP VLC service with app, long press the audioplayer play/pause button.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”