*nix specific usage questions
nonzyro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Debian Linux

VLC Issues with DBUS - Onegai

Postby nonzyro » 05 Oct 2016 10:19

Hi, it's me again, the bitching superuser. I've given up on trying to use the rc interface (because it's broken and nobody has addressed my concerns about it).
I'm looking into DBUS now, but it seems VLC is not MPRIS-compliant. PlayPause works, Seek works, but Rate (and related) don't and neither does Volume. I understand Rate not being top of the agenda because it isn't high-demand, but Volume!? WTH!? Everyone uses that feature. It is needed.

See below details:

RATE:

Code: Select all

dbus-send --print-reply --session --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Rate double:"0.5" Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Rate" with signature "d" on interface "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player" doesn't exist
VOLUME:

dbus-send --print-reply --session --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Volume double:"0.5" Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Volume" with signature "d" on interface "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player" doesn't exist
SEEK (working fine)

dbus-send --print-reply --session --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Seek int64:"-10000000" method return sender=:1.290 -> dest=:1.306 reply_serial=2
It looks like this has yet to be implemented (unless I'm doing something wrong). I've had a look at the VLC Wiki and that's no help because most of it's WIP. Anyway, could someone please tell me what the story is here? Is VLC going to be fully MPRIS-compliant? Does it have its own special DBUS interface? Is DBUS support on hiatus? Enlighten me please.

Please can somebody bother to get back to me on this one, even is it's outside the forum (my Twitter handle is @nonzyro)
64bit: Debian 8 / VLC 2.2.4 / 4GB RAM / i5 430M / 512MB VRAM / Radeon HD5470

One time Randy's mom grew her nails really long and then she got an iPhone, but she couldn't use it so she had to have her nails cut but they had to use a chainsaw and they accidentally cut off her fingers and they sowed them back on backwards by accident and now her hands look weird and that's my 400 character limit

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC Issues with DBUS - Onegai

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Oct 2016 13:00

Nah. Volume and Rate player properties are both supported fine. You're doing it wrong.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

nonzyro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Debian Linux

Postby nonzyro » 05 Oct 2016 15:16

You're doing it wrong.
Could you give me an example, I'm fairly new to DBUS. Explanation would be good to. Thanks in advance.
64bit: Debian 8 / VLC 2.2.4 / 4GB RAM / i5 430M / 512MB VRAM / Radeon HD5470

One time Randy's mom grew her nails really long and then she got an iPhone, but she couldn't use it so she had to have her nails cut but they had to use a chainsaw and they accidentally cut off her fingers and they sowed them back on backwards by accident and now her hands look weird and that's my 400 character limit

bll
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.2
Operating System: Linux

Postby bll » 01 Feb 2017 02:36

In case anyone runs into this,
I just tried this and it works:

dbus-send --print-reply --session \
--dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc \
/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set \