Subtitle in full screen mode.

macOS specific usage questions
Skavis

Subtitle in full screen mode.

Postby Skavis » 01 Dec 2005 21:02

Is there anyway you can place the subtitles in the black screen at the bottom of a wide screen movie in vlc?? the problem is i have a movie with hardsubs in it. Korean subs play throught-out the whole movie and when i try to watch with english they play directly over the korean and its hard to read. I know i can move the subs to the left or right but they normally just go over the korean anyway. If there is ANY way i can on the mac osx then someone please please please help me. Any info would be great. If i can make the subs darker or with heavy shadows??? any help would be more then appriecated!!!! thanks to anyone who replys!!

Voltboy

Postby Voltboy » 06 Feb 2006 13:01

Yeah, I would also like to know about subtitle positioning, fonts and colours because I tried it last night and was unable to get any good results. The "Force Subtitle Position" option in Subtitles (Advanced) options does nothing. They stay where they are. And yes, I did close the movie and re-open it, I even tried quitting VLC and re-opening. Can someone please tell us how to put the subs below the movie in the black?

Also, every font I tried looked awful, not anti-aliased at all and not pure white but a strange multi-coloured shimmering to it. It also seems that only Truetype fonts actually work. All the .dfont and .otf fonts I tried did nothing.

The subs file was an .srt file associated with an AVI movie.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 06 Feb 2006 18:30

How many times do we have to say that you CANNOT move subs into the black bars, if those black bars are not part of the video. VLC can only draw subs IN the video, not underneath it (this part is actually the black background of the window in which VLC is drawing).
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2006 14:57

You can say it as many times as you like, thanks - I'd never seen that comment made before so it is news to me!

Maybe you should change the little Help popup that comes up when you put your mouse over the Subtitle Position box in the preferences which says something like "Change this value to move the subtitle position, for example if you want to put the subtitles below the movie"??

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2006 22:30

I have been searched for a possibility to lower the subtitles for many hours. It is very frustrating to have plenty of space below the movie on your television set, while VLC can not use this wasted space.

Apparently it is a VLC 'dogma' that subtitles can only be displayed IN the movie part and not below, but I don't understand why there should be such a limitation. With other players and the help of VobSub, I can display subtitles wherever I like. Excuse me for being so bold to say so, but in my opinion the demands of users should generate functionality, not technical 'limitations'.

Is there a possibility to artificially extend the display area, for example to a 4x3 or 16x9 size, and blending in the subtitles at a desired position? Besides, why give the 'Force Subtitle Position' option when it doesn't do anything? I tried every possible value without effect, very frustrating. And if modifying VLC to the user's whims is no option, why not support VobSub?

Regards,
Sam

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 01 Mar 2006 01:44

You are not the only users.

How many players do you know that can stream DVD menus and subtitles?
That's one of the advantages the current approach delivers to us. It's possible to implement both, and it is the ultimate goal, but Rome wasn't built in an hour.

Postby Guest » 02 Mar 2006 00:53

WOW WHAT AN ANSWER :twisted:

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 02 Mar 2006 15:32

yes i rather think so. There is no use in being like everyone else. If VLC was designed the same way as almost all other players currently are designed, then in my eyes there would be no use for VLC existence and no reason to develop it. VLC is quite different. It uses a different approach to many concepts in players (because it has its origins in streaming). To relinquish that functionality in order to support something else that everyone already supports is not an option in my eyes for VLC. If it can be made to support BOTH, then that is an option. However either one takes time and a lot of developers.

That's why the TODO list is so large. Apparently however you are one of those people who doesn't understand what Open Source means, and you do not appreciate the many hours people put into it in their free time. You rather make demands for a piece of free and Free software which you do not get to make demands on.
I find it sad that I again need to explain this. However when the time comes that you have no control over all the material you think you "own", but rather Microsoft or Apple or any other global player to which you turned in your heart owns, then maybe that day you will understand the goals of Free and Open Source Software. Lets hope it will not come to that.

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2006 10:14

Can you explain me how to change the font and it's size ? I did not manage to make it work...

Streamer

Postby Streamer » 04 Mar 2006 14:04

I have no big trouble in changing the font type or size. There is a minor problem with Windows, however :evil: . In preferences>Subtitles/OSD>Text Renderer, check Advanced Options and browse for a font in your fonts directory (normally C:\Windows\Fonts). Selecting a font unfortunately fails here. In the "File Name" box you can type the file name of the TTF font; a popup list of matches will appear (type a if you want Arial, for example). Now click OK.
Next you can set the font size; try 26 or 28. Click Save. I found that quite often VLC has to be restarted for options to take effect.
:?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 06 Mar 2006 22:56

I have no big trouble in changing the font type or size. There is a minor problem with Windows, however
From your description, i cannot find what your problem is....

Guestx

!!!!!!

Postby Guestx » 13 Mar 2006 14:55

PLEASE, MAKE "FORCE SUBTITLE POSITION" WORKING.

Many users need to change the subtitle position.

then VLC will be the greates player on the earth !!!!!

clarkdv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clarkdv » 13 Aug 2006 16:09

Get MovieTime, it positions the subtitle below the video, down in the black bar, no matter if the video file has a black bar in it or if it's generated by the player app.

I just watched Syriana with subs using MT and it performed very well. Went to Preferences, clicked to make the font bigger, BAM, played perfectly.

jech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jech » 15 Aug 2006 20:49

I would really like to help with this functionality, because I need it and also many people I know are complaining about it.

Why letterboxing couldn't be implemented as a video filter? There is a crop filter so letterbox filter should be quite similar. I could look at it if you tell me it is possible. But I have no experience with C programming. I only know Pascal, PHP and little Java.

covisp
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Subtitle in full screen mode.

Postby covisp » 29 Mar 2008 21:13

The trouble is, the "Force Subtitle Position" does NOTHING. I can't move the subtitles at ALL. For example, I have a video that has a sub file with it, but it also has some notes that are hard coded into the video stream. I cannot move the subtitles up on the screen so that the hard coded notes are not overlayed. The way it is now, when there are notes, I cannot read the notes OR the subs.

I would love a preference to have the subs appear in a separate floating window that could be positioned anywhere on screen with a simple drag.

unwrittensmile
New Cone
New Cone

Re:

Postby unwrittensmile » 14 May 2008 17:20

How many times do we have to say that you CANNOT move subs into the black bars, if those black bars are not part of the video. VLC can only draw subs IN the video, not underneath it (this part is actually the black background of the window in which VLC is drawing).

how can i move the subtitles to the left? they do not appear full screen. they only appear in half. i already managed to make the subtitles appear but they are not properly positioned.

itssm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby itssm » 19 Jun 2011 08:51

Nobody till now could provide one small answer that the users are asking, what a ridiculous helpdesk!!

in "Force Subtitle Position" any positive value should logically pull the subtitle down. What "The DJ" has mentioned is correct when he said "How many times do we have to say that you CANNOT move subs into the black bars, if those black bars are not part of the video. VLC can only draw subs IN the video, not underneath it (this part is actually the black background of the window in which VLC is drawing)."

hence inserting whatever positive value in that field will not have any effect. However, you can always "draw subs IN the video" which means you have to give a negative value in that field and then you can raise or lift the position of the subtitle. Insert a suitable value there, generally "-10" gives the desired result. Hope I could answer all of your queries.. Happy VLCing!! :D

itssm
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Re:

Postby itssm » 19 Jun 2011 08:55

how can i move the subtitles to the left? they do not appear full screen. they only appear in half. i already managed to make the subtitles appear but they are not properly positioned.
Currently there is no option to move subtitles left or right. Only you can pull it up (in my previous post i have mentioned again as to why you cannot pull down a subtitle"

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Jun 2011 00:16

Nobody till now could provide one small answer that the users are asking, what a ridiculous helpdesk!!
This is not a helpdesk.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

itssm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby itssm » 21 Jun 2011 18:25

no need to mention that, we have all understood that!!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Jun 2011 20:01

no need to mention that, we have all understood that!!
You don't seem to.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SnowLeopard

Postby SnowLeopard » 06 Jul 2011 01:59

Man... 5 years without changes at this point - VLC is retired.
Do you know about 4:3 displays existence?
Don't you think it's stupid to render subtitles inside video?
How much time should pass before you will finally implement it?
Shame on you! :evil:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Jul 2011 18:49

Don't you think it's stupid to render subtitles inside video?
No, it isn't for many technical reasons, one of them being overlay.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

jech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jech » 07 Jul 2011 15:19

But other players like MPC, MPlayer, KMPlayer or any player using ffdshow or VSFilter can do it for years (with any render - overlay, VMR or EVR).

I think the main reason is a bad design decision when subtitles are rendered into video before applying filters. If it would be the other way round, you could simply apply an "add borders" filter and then render subtitles wherever you want.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Jul 2011 16:19

But other players like MPC, MPlayer, KMPlayer or any player using ffdshow or VSFilter can do it for years (with any render - overlay, VMR or EVR).

I think the main reason is a bad design decision when subtitles are rendered into video before applying filters. If it would be the other way round, you could simply apply an "add borders" filter and then render subtitles wherever you want.
Windows != OSX

And see http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2011/VLC-1.2.0-part1 and http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2011/VLC-1.2.0-part1b
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”