No Audio Input - Please Help!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
FlukeyNZ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

No Audio Input - Please Help!

Postby FlukeyNZ » 02 Jul 2007 06:22

Hi,

For the last few months i have been working on a project involving streaming live tv across the local network. Ive had a number of issues which i have managed to resolve and i now having streaming tv which i can access from any pc on the network via an internet explorer page which i created.

The problem i have is that i get video.. but no audio >.<
On the server i get no audio if i play it locally either. The input into the capture card is via Composite Video and White/Red Audio RCA. I have a device which turns White/Red RCA into 3x 3.5m Audio Jack and i run a small 3.5m Audio Jack cable from the device to the Audio in of the PC and it gives me the audio from the TV input so i know that the audio is going into the TV Tuner card.

When i choose my audio device it only has Default, None and my Sound card. If i choose Default or my Sound card then it wont stream the video anymore. I set it to none and as you would expect. I get no audio :D

Any help with this would make me a very happy chappy.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: No Audio Input - Please Help!

Postby DJ » 02 Jul 2007 07:38

Your description is poor and difficult to understand what you have and haven't tried. Jumping to the end seldom makes for a good beginning and that's where you appear to be.

In order to do anything with a input signal (audio and / or video) it first has to work. :P
All digital video is sync to audio. If there is no video present when audio is present suggests that it (audio) can't sync and take control of the video.

From what you have written it sounds like the video output is raw (probably in a Chroma format) and the audio output is s16l in a wave container (at least that what most audio cards put out).

The first question to be asked here is: Can you get sound without trying to stream?
Be sure the record gain is on and turned up on your audio card for the line input. Also be sure that the line output gain is on and turned up for the output of the audio card. Don't worry about the video at this juncture (it's probably best to shut down the video). Assuming you get audio from your capture device try making a MP3 file. That's MP3 in a raw container and you are transcoding to disk file. Then play back the file.

You must work with the sound first and get it working or there is NO hope for picture in either a transcode or a stream.

BTW Sound can NOT be sent to your TV Tuner card! :P But it can be received from it.
I have a device which turns White/Red RCA into 3x 3.5m Audio Jack and i run a small 3.5m Audio Jack cable from the device to the Audio in of the PC and it gives me the audio from the TV input so i know that the audio is going into the TV Tuner card.

FlukeyNZ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FlukeyNZ » 02 Jul 2007 23:40

lol appoligies for my sloppy descriptions i was in a hurry.
When i view the capture locally using default as my audio device i get white noise.
BTW Sound can NOT be sent to your TV Tuner card! But it can be received from it.
Sorry if my description was vague but i was running the L/R Audio RCA's into the device instead of the Capture card. Then directly into the Audio in of my sound card.
Be sure the record gain is on and turned up on your audio card for the line input. Also be sure that the line output gain is on and turned up for the output of the audio card. Don't worry about the video at this juncture (it's probably best to shut down the video). Assuming you get audio from your capture device try making a MP3 file. That's MP3 in a raw container and you are transcoding to disk file. Then play back the file.
I will try this and see if i get anywhere.

Thanks DJ

FlukeyNZ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FlukeyNZ » 04 Jul 2007 04:10

Ok,

I have tried what you suggested i still cant get any audio. I also have Windows Media Center on the machine and can open the capture fine in that.

The input into the Tuner card is via RCA cables. In the Audio device's list shouldnt i have my Tuner card which i can select as the audio device ? All i have in the list is

None
Realtek HD Audio Input

I have noticed that when i click on configure for my audio device it opens an AudioInputMixer Properties window which has a drop down menu for

Pin Line:
Front Mic
Stereo Mix
Rear Green In
Rear Pink In
Rear Blue In

Since the input isnt via any of these could that imply that VLC isnt looking at the right input for the audio ?

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated. :D

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 Jul 2007 10:17

The input into the Tuner card is via RCA cables.
TV Tuner cards do NOT have inputs, they have outputs and this goes to the line in of your audio card.

FlukeyNZ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FlukeyNZ » 04 Jul 2007 23:57

Thanks for your reply DJ,

My appoligies i have been leading you a stray. It is a TV Capture Card not a Tuner card.

[img=http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4853 ... bn7.th.jpg]

This is a picture of the setup i have currently. Im thinking this changes everything lol.

Would love some feedback

Thanks,

Flukey

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Jul 2007 09:38

When video capture cards have audio inputs it generally indicates the direct show drivers also carry the audio. But you say nothing shows up in VLC??? Kinda sounds like a driver problem. If there are line outputs on the video capture card try those instead.

FlukeyNZ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FlukeyNZ » 11 Jul 2007 00:04

Ok, ive tried a couple of different drivers still with no avail.

The Capture card im using is the Hauppauge PVR 500 MCE (Also known as 2x Hauppauge 150) it doesnt have any output's only inputs. Is it possible that this card is not compatible with VLC ? If so is there any thought into Compatibility in the next version ?

Thanks Much,

Flukey

FlukeyNZ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FlukeyNZ » 12 Jul 2007 05:59

I have been asked to look into possibly getting a new TV Capture card, i was thinking maybe the 250 or 350 since i have seen posts of people getting these working with VLC and streaming, since neither of these cards have Composite / L R Audio input RCA Jacks i would have to run the input via Antenna can u recommend either of these cards ?

Corm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Corm » 10 Sep 2016 20:36

This is the same issue I have, or close enough.

Audio and video both work if i play any media file on my PC from VLC.

When I stream, I get no audio but I receive video.

The connections are: RCA from the audio output of my cable box (Cisco RNG150, cable provider comcast), and it connects to the input of my tv-tuner card. I have aHauppage HVR 1260 G2 Hybrid. The video is with an S-video cable.

As far as I know, my stream is sending audio over the RCA cables. I checked this with "Stream info" (or Media info), I forget which, and can view that it has bytes being decoded and receiving in both the video and the audio streams.

I have tried different input settings, advanced settings, and outputs in the settings but no luck.

Anyone have ideas?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”