Need to switch between two different audio equalization curves

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Need to switch between two different audio equalization curves

Postby MarEden » 09 Jun 2016 00:07

What's the correct way of being able to switch between two different sets of custom-programmed equalization curves, each one for a different loudspeaker system, each with different speaker response and room acoustics? The objective is to get a reasonably flat audio frequency response, in each situation.

What I'm now doing:
1) The bands gain for speaker-system one is copied into a Gnote page. The 10-setting sequence for System #1 is pasted into the Bands gain field in Advanced Preferences - Equalizer with 10 bands, then Saved. I now have a persistent equalization default for System 1. These settings are persistent between VLC sessions, as expected.

I connect the other speaker system, number 2, re-open VLC, and, of course, now it doesn't sound so good -- VLC is defaulting to the curve for the other speaker system.

2) Now I run Gnote and look up a second equalization curve page in Gnote, where the 10-band setting for Speaker System 2 has been saved. In VLC I go to Advanced Preferences - Equalizer with 10 bands, then I copy from a different Gnote page the correct curve for System 2, and paste this into the Bands gain field, on this window. Then Save.

I now have a persistent equalizer curve for Speaker system 2.

I see a drop-down menu with about 18 preset equalization curves, but unfortunately none of these remotely come close to what I need, to flatten the response of my two speaker systems, or account for the room acoustics. I would very much like to use a few of these, if they could be appropriately readjusted (and better yet, renamed, as well) but I don't know how.

:?: Is there some way that VLC could help me to change between preset custom curves for speakers system #1 and #2, without opening another program and then doing all this copying-and-pasting?

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Need to switch between two different audio equalization curves

Postby jayR » 09 Jun 2016 07:18

You can preset only one eq configuration. Surely allowing multiple custom presets will be good. But I doubt they will implement it.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 09 Jun 2016 12:16

... Surely allowing multiple custom presets will be good. But I doubt they will implement it.
:shock: Wow, what a surprise, in an otherwise very capable program! Then, no one has thought of a better work-around, than mine?

Then, from your reply, I gather this need is not unique -- so it's likely other users are getting around this problem, in some way.

I'm thinking of either 1) a macro utility (does VLC have its own?) or 2) a VLC addon (or plugin?), if an appropriate one exists.

:?: I'm looking forward to seeing posts with suggestions as to which is better and/or easier to implement. Or, perhaps some other solution has been found?

kmf31

Postby kmf31 » 09 Jun 2016 13:13

One can easily use two different configuration files for vlc using the option "--config=..." (with "..." being the modified configuration file).
First one saves the first setting and copies the config file from the default location (system dependant, see google and/or faq of videolan) to some other place/name. Then one does the same for the second setting and one can either start vlc with "vlc --config=firstconfigfilename" or "vlc --config=secondconfigfilename" (this can be simplified using a small shell script (if Linux or Mac) or bat script (if Windows).

Possible other solution: use the appropriate command line options, i.e. (nearly) every gui/preference setting of vlc can also be specified as a command line parameter. A full list of these with explanations can be obtained by "vlc --longhelp --advanced --help-verbose" (one should save the output of this to some ascii file). I don't know the details but there are indeed some equalizer options:
Equalizer with 10 bands (equalizer)
--equalizer-preset {flat,classical,club,dance,fullbass,fullbasstreble,fulltreble,headphones,largehall,live,party,pop,reggae,rock,ska,soft,softrock,techno}
Equalizer preset
Preset to use for the equalizer.
--equalizer-bands <string> Bands gain
Don't use presets, but manually specified bands. You need to provide
10 values between -20dB and 20dB, separated by spaces, e.g. "0 2 4 2
0 -2 -4 -2 0 2".
--equalizer-2pass, --no-equalizer-2pass
Two pass (default disabled)
Filter the audio twice. This provides a more intense effect. (default
disabled)
--equalizer-vlcfreqs, --no-equalizer-vlcfreqs
Use VLC frequency bands (default enabled)
Use the VLC frequency bands. Otherwise, use the ISO Standard
frequency bands. (default enabled)
--equalizer-preamp <float> Global gain
Set the global gain in dB (-20 ... 20).
If you can figure out the proper options and their parameters you can put them in a script to start vlc (actually two scripts for the two different settings).

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 09 Jun 2016 17:19

Perhaps VLC Extension Lua script could help you.
Code: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p442954
--- EDIT ---
Code moved to Lua forum.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 09 Jun 2016 17:24

One can easily use two different configuration files for vlc ...
Many thanks, that is perfect. I would know which speakers are to be used at the beginning of a new session, so these suggestions are both fine. For me, the second method is best since any other configuration settings, not involving the 10-band equalizer, would be preserved in a common configuration file.

I'll work through this and post again, if there are questions on the correct syntax.

:) Thanks again, you really know this program!

P.S.: Another solution from mederi came in while I was replying ... much appreciated for this, as well, and I shall begin to examine it, as soon as this reply is posted! :)

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 09 Jun 2016 17:47

Perhaps [the] VLC Extension [named] Lua script could help you.
[Reply edited slightly, to show how I'm understanding the meaning.
Please correct me, if I'm wrong.]
Great, thanks so much for taking the time to do all this. I assume this may be run internally, without leaving or restarting VLC. I also see that it allows more than two persistent customized equalizer presets.

Since this is new to me, I'll do some searching to see what this file should be named, into which directory it should go, and how to 'call' it from inside VLC.

I take it, if I'm understanding your first line correctly, the first step is to install a VLC extension named 'lus script'. I'll do some reading and ask for more help as needed. :)

This thread is really turning out better than I had expected ... perhaps it may be useful to other VLC users with the same needs.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 09 Jun 2016 19:26

Here is an example of extension with installation instruction: http://addons.videolan.org/content/show ... ent=156396
So just select and copy the code, then paste it in a text file (vlc\lua\extensions\equalizer.lua). Then you should find it in VLC menu "View" or "Vlc > Extensions" on Mac OS X.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 09 Jun 2016 23:42

Thanks for the extra help. I had 'jumped the gun' before seeing your message -- being anxious to see how your extension works -- and as a result, I already had this, when I saw your reply:
  • /usr/lib/vlc/lua/extensions/
    now contains the file,
    equalizer-custom-presets.lua
    -- the name I selected for your script.
This is with Linux Mint 17.3 -- is the above path correct, for this OS?
  • There is confusion on my part, over what extension I should give the file, and I don't know if this is contributing to the problem noted below. There was already an extension installed there, VLSub.luac. So, I made the the (file name) extension of the new file match that of the old. Should the file extension go back to just *.lua on one of the files, or on both? I have no idea with the 'terminal c' implies.
I can see 'test - equalizer' in both the extension manager and in View (preceded by a checkbox).
Possibly the main problem preventing the extension from working: However, the box won't hold a check mark -- and it's still empty, when View is again clicked.

Are you able to maintain the check in the checkbox? The other extension, VLSub, does get a check when the box is clicked, and it 'holds' when View is reopened.

Any ideas?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 10 Jun 2016 13:04

The right file extension for your noncompiled script (a text file) is "lua". If the script appears in VLC menu View, then it is successfully installed. If you activate the extension, the dialog box window should appear on the screen just like in VLSub (Download Subtitles) extension and it stays ticked in VLC menu View. Works fine on Windows. Check the logs (Tools > Messages: Verbosity [2 (debug)]).

px fragonard
New Cone
New Cone

Postby px fragonard » 17 Oct 2020 19:52

You can preset only one eq configuration. Surely allowing multiple custom presets will be good. But I doubt they will implement it.
But it already exists in my vlc phone app! How hard could it be?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”