Module Loading Questions

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
rhegner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Module Loading Questions

Postby rhegner » 06 May 2016 10:35

I created an out-of-tree module which is similar to the netsync plugin. Thus I placed it in the same category (CAT_ADVANCED, SUBCAT_ADVANCED_MISC, interface capability).

The main functionality is working fine but I'd like to improve the following points:
  • The module only gets activated when I start VLC with --extraintf=xyz. But its settings page is shown in the Advanced category whether the module is activated or not. This is quite counterintuitive, imo. The nicest solution would be to activate the module by default. I would then have a "Enabled" setting on the settings page of the module which determines if the loaded module should actually do something. Is it possible to configure an interface module in such a way that it gets loaded in any case (without explicitly loading it with the --extraintf=xyz command line option)?
  • An alternative approach to make things more intuitive would be to show the module's settings page only if the module has been activated (with --extraintf=xyz).
  • If the module is active it gets initialized only once at startup. When I change any of its settings, a restart of VLC is required so that the changed settings come into effect. How can my module be notified about changed settings, so that it can re-initialize itself?
Note that I'm writing an out-of-tree module. So I'm looking for solutions which can be implemented from inside the module (no need to modify VLC core code).

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Module Loading Questions

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 May 2016 12:53

1) No. 3) You can't.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “Development around libVLC”