macOS specific usage questions
sunjo
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: Customizing VLC 2.0's Mac interface

Postby sunjo » 30 Oct 2014 05:54

Okay I spoke too soon. I got the borderless window working by simply unchecking everything in main preferences and then everything in advanced/interface/macosx.

pprzemek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pprzemek » 05 Mar 2015 08:37

I assume the second playlist window is still visible? So you end up with two windows one for the playlist and the other one as a borderless video window. Did you mange to kill off playlist window too?

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 03 May 2015 11:27

Hi
what means ~ ?
Hi Rolf,
Two things: First of all, your question isn't even really about VLC- it's a very basic question about using a computer. Second, the purpose of your question doesn't belong in this thread because adding BR support as you're trying to do doesn't have anything to do with the Mac interface for VLC 2.0+...

~/ is a longtime & very commonly used convention which means 'your home/user folder'.
~/lib does not refer to the hidden Library folder in your home folder. That would be: ~/Library.
The ~/lib folder is not created by the operating system for each new user account by default; so unless you or some other software has already created it for some reason it doesn't exist, you will have to create the folder manually yourself.
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

vlcneville
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcneville » 04 Jul 2015 08:26

On a Mac, is it possible to show
elapsed time and total, or
elapsed and remaining?

Rex Block
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rex Block » 18 Mar 2016 17:02

Save the current column width settings on exit, and restore them on return.

wizbang2fl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wizbang2fl » 03 Jul 2016 20:34

Is there a way to keep the column spacing for the video library. Every launch of VLC requires you to respace out the columns again because it's not saved between a normal vlc quit and future launch.

ziggurism
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ziggurism » 07 Jul 2017 17:46

You cannot customize the fullscreen controller.

Why do you deperately need a stop button? Please check out the main menu, or just hit Cmd + . to stop playback.
I'm happy to type cmd-. to make the video stop. However the wife and children cannot manage it. I desperately want to add a stop button to the fullscreen interface.

vlcforme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcforme » 28 Feb 2018 16:00

Simply but dumb question that I can't figure out. When right-clicking on the VLC dock icon, the top of the list populates all of the previously played files. What should I do to make sure that they don't appear? I don't want to see them.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 28 Feb 2018 20:34

You can completely disable the list of recent items. First, go do File -> Recent items, and delete existing ones. Then go to preferences --> Advanced --> Interfaces --> main interfaces --> macosx and deselect the "keep recent items" option.

vlcforme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcforme » 02 Mar 2018 04:44

Thanks! Amazing... Talk about a needle in a haystack. I would've never found this.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 20 Apr 2018 17:55

VLC already has a list of recently played files. Check it out in the File main menu.

SDRanger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SDRanger » 16 Jun 2020 02:04

New-ish to Mac, but have used VLC in my sleep on Windows for a solid decade... Now that I am good and spoiled, I am seeing that Mac-VLC has only about 20% of the user-friendliness that Win-VLC has going on. One of the things I have used very regularly is the A~>B Loop feature. So, the first letdown was not being able to customize this feature into my Interface... Then, I realize that the feature...besides being really tricky to use (dropping down the menu, setting "A", going back and dropping down the menu and setting "B", :roll: and same for "loop off")....you can rarely ever tell exactly what mode you're in (Did I successfully set "A"? etc. etc.) as there are no 2-second text banner notifications like you would see when turning shuffle (aka "random") on/off. BUT, even when taking extra :shock: extra care and concentration...the player still seems to just pick a nearby, yet totally unrelated, 1-4 second selection and start looping that bit instead of my selected start and stop points. Yes, I tried this at least 40 times...maybe twice that much, actually...with ZERO luck. Is this Mac sorta-newbie doing something wrong here that any Mac user would know to do? Using the menu's noted hotkeys is the same tedious, pointless, aggravating experience of guesswork as when I am doing it manually from the menu, so that's out. There is virtually no information on this A~>B Loop feature in the (Mac-VLC) help files, so maybe this is an experimental feature? BTW, I am using VLC Version 3.0.8 Vetinari on my Mac Catalina 10.15.5, if this is relevant. I'm not a programmer, no nothing about code, etc....but I can't imagine that creating a feature that simply sets a start point, end point, and then loops it would be that incredibly impossible a feature to pull off successfully.
:mrgreen: One with a custom interface-friendly button would really bring it home! :mrgreen:

THANKS for any help with this one. :P

nyrngrz
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11.1 Vetinari
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby nyrngrz » 11 Aug 2020 21:28

I have no idea where some of the options you are mentioning here. I want to create Playlists in VLC and I don't see anywhere how to accomplish that. I have seem communications mentioning it but none of the options mentioned are available on my MacBook Pro. Anyone able to offer some advice?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 12 Aug 2020 17:48

File --> Save playlist.

Before that, add the items in the playlist window you want to have included.

nyrngrz
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11.1 Vetinari
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby nyrngrz » 15 Aug 2020 21:36

Thanks for the info., that is a start. When I select Save Playlist, I enter the title, in the file section I select XML Shareable Playlist format (XSPF). Now here is where I am having difficulty, in the Where section what do I select? I first selected Music but I can't find what I saved and there isn't a window to add songs. Hope you can assist further. Thanks.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 16 Aug 2020 16:20

You should create a separate forum thread if you need more in depth help.

AKLion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AKLion » 15 Oct 2022 21:23

Tell me how can I increase the font size in the playlist, it would be nice if I could change the font size everywhere.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”