Help to optimise device captures (v.Large file size)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
riquez
New Cone
New Cone

Help to optimise device captures (v.Large file size)

Postby riquez » 12 Mar 2016 12:13

Hi there!

I am using an EasyCap USB dongle (on several platforms) to capture a 600 TVL NTSC video stream.
In VLC I have found Open Capture Device to work well, but the resulting files are massive (5GB+ for a couple of mins)

The workflow I have been using is:

Open capture device > set 30fps but leave other options as default. Click PLAY, & then use the RECORD button to capture the parts I would like from the stream.
The result is perfectly fine, but the file size is really excessive for this low-res input.

I have tried using the Convert/Save option using H264+mp3 profile, but unfortunately this results in very low frame rate & unwatchable footage, even if I do not tick the "display footage" option.
Perhaps the reason for this is the laptop i am using is old & it can't handle the conversion well? It does a fine job of the regular capture though, just huge files.

Any ideas how I can get more reasonable results? I am not really bothered about the quality too much as the source is already rough.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Help to optimise device captures (v.Large file size)

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 14 Mar 2016 21:51

You need to do conversion/transcoding.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

riquez
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Help to optimise device captures (v.Large file size)

Postby riquez » 18 May 2016 17:17

Sorry, that isnt too helpful. What do you mean?
Do you mean use the "Convert/Save" option? That is giving me a video which has very blurred/mixed frames which is unwatchable. I have tried several presets like ipod, youtube SD, mp4 but all result in extremely overlapped frames.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”