VLCKit caopengllayer

macOS specific usage questions
fedordoc12
New Cone
New Cone

VLCKit caopengllayer

Postby fedordoc12 » 15 Jan 2016 05:11

I'm trying to use VLCKit in a Core Animation CALayer. I tried setting the option "--vout=caopengllayer" in VLCLibrary.m and create a VLCVideoLayer, etc. But it doesn't seem to work. I get no video displayed and I get lots or messages like:

[0000000102dbbcc0] core vout display debug: looking for vout display module matching "any": 6 candidates
[0000000102dbbcc0] macosx vout display error: Invalid drawable-nsobject object. drawable-nsobject must either be an NSView or comply to the @protocol VLCOpenGLVideoViewEmbedding.
[0000000102dbbcc0] core vout display debug: no vout display modules matched

as if the vout=macosx module is still being used. I can see the plugin in the plugins directory though. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

OSX: 10.11
VLCKit: git pull from 1/13/2016

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: VLCKit caopengllayer

Postby fkuehne » 15 Jan 2016 13:10

I saw a similar issue recently but didn't find the time to fix it properly. This will do though: http://files.feepk.net/_/PT65wWP
Patch needs to be applied on "vlc-unstable" followed by a recompilation of VLCKit.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

fedordoc12
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fedordoc12 » 15 Jan 2016 16:41

Awesome, that works.

Thanks for the help!

lagnat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lagnat » 02 Mar 2018 19:38

This problem has reappeared for me. I'm doing something non-standard which might explain it. My app dynamically opens libvlc.dylib from whatever release of VLC is installed on the Mac. The 3.x releases seemingly do not respect "--vout=caopengllayer". Everything is fine with 2.2.8.

cdf1982
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cdf1982 » 14 May 2018 07:53

I saw a similar issue recently but didn't find the time to fix it properly. This will do though: http://files.feepk.net/_/PT65wWP
Patch needs to be applied on "vlc-unstable" followed by a recompilation of VLCKit.
Hi! I believe I need to use the "--vout=caopengllayer" option in order to embed the video player in a CALayer backed view (a NSCollectionViewItem), but if I pass that option, it doesn't seem to be applied (VLCKit 3.x, commit af0067c7): no error logged in the console, but also no apparent different behavior of the video player.
I see there was the patch above (link now dead), which made me wonder if there's still an issue with caopengllayer, or if (much more likely) I am doing something wrong.
How can I initialize the video player with the caopengllayer on macOS, so that I can embed it in a layer backed view? Thanks in advance!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”