Version 2.7 nigh unusable

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Version 2.7 nigh unusable

Postby Dale Vino » 27 Dec 2015 08:42

This report is against iPhone 4S, iOS 9.0.2. My typical use case is playing back audio only files in Opus, AAC, and MP3 formats. As far as I can tell, none of the issues are file-related. Bugs listed in order of severity:
  • Constant crashes, especially toward the end of tracks. Crashes are of rather spectacular nature, locking out all input for ~10 seconds.
  • Position is no longer saved. While 2.7 will import position data from 2.6, it will not save from that point forward. All files are "new" regardless of interaction.
  • Seeking is broken. When choosing a position on the time line, playback stalls and the counter seems to continue playing but with no audio. Pausing for several seconds then pressing play may resume playback but given the fragility of the app and the lack of position saving, it's a gamble.
  • Files often instantly fade out and play only after cancelling and restarting several times.
  • File title text overlaps with side-swipe delete option.
  • Options menu flickers when scrolling.
  • Track text now too large with no option to resize. {wishlist}
Downgrading to 2.6.2 fixed all the above issues. I also tried deleting, reinstalling, and re-importing files. No change that I could see. Multiple reboots through this process. Some of the 1-star reviews in the iTunes Store seem to indicate that several of the above issues affect others.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Version 2.7 nigh unusable

Postby fkuehne » 28 Dec 2015 11:30

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback! This is great to have!

Let's go through the list:
  • Fixed for 2.7.1
  • Fixed for 2.7.1
  • Is this with audio files? All of them or a specific format?
  • Fixed for 2.7.1
  • Euh, nicely spotted!
  • Hmm, I saw that, too, on small phones.
A bug fix release will be uploaded as soon as Apple returns from the holidays, which is tomorrow PST.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

jtapping
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jtapping » 28 Dec 2015 19:02

Hello,

can I add to the list for 2.7.0 please?

- I always get a glitch in audio playback when closing
the iphone (locking) - surpringly annoying

ios -9.2 / iphone 6s

Thankyou!

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dale Vino » 28 Dec 2015 20:04

Appreciate the reply, Felix. Regarding seeking behavior, I will test further against 2.7.1 when it is released. I want to say that the format doesn't matter, but I can't say with 100% confidence right now.

Regarding jtapping's issue, I used to get an audio skip when locking, but that went away a few versions ago. 2.7.0 did not exhibit this issue for me. I agree that it was surprisingly annoying back when I encountered this issue. Maybe related, I used to get constant skipping with Opus files, especially with accelerated playback, but this, too, went away recently and did not re-manifest in 2.7. In fact, the once significant skipping issues have all but disappeared for me. YMMV, of course. Just a data point.

When pressing "Done" on a paused audio track I get maybe a quarter second of audio, which I presume is the buffer flushing. Not annoying to me, just came to mind when discussing the above.

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dale Vino » 28 Dec 2015 20:18

A crucial piece of information that I forgot to mention when filing the report: my default playback speed is 200%. This is obviously outside the normal use case but I neglected to mention it because, to me, it's the default. In fact, this feature is basically the reason I use VLC in the first place.

jtapping
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jtapping » 29 Dec 2015 08:18

Ok -thanks well i'll let you know how it goes in 2.7.1
I had this before 2.7.0 though - I don't know the exact version(and defo in 2.7.0 when it works :)

I only use for audio - ease of getting audio files into the iphone.

Cheers

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 29 Dec 2015 15:43

FYI, 2.7.1 is out!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dale Vino » 30 Dec 2015 22:08

After testing 2.7.1:
  • Constant crashes, especially toward the end of tracks: FIXED.
  • Position is no longer saved: FIXED.
  • Seeking is broken: FIXED. Tested with MP3, AAC, and Opus.
  • Files often instantly fade out and play only after cancelling and restarting several times: FIXED.
  • File title text overlaps with side-swipe delete option: NOT FIXED.
  • Options menu flickers when scrolling: NOT FIXED. However, instead of "flickering", I'd describe the new behavior as "jumpy".
  • Track text now too large with no option to resize: NOT FIXED, but this is just a wishlist item
Also, there's a new issue, which doesn't affect me but is something I've noticed: the button for video adjustments (brightness, contrast, etc.) is gone. Maybe it's gone now with audio-only files. I didn't test with video.

Thanks for the quick response, both on the forum and pushing the update through.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 01 Jan 2016 13:50

Thanks for the feedback.

And well, it makes sense to not show buttons for video adjustments, for an audio-only file. :-)
For video files the button is there still.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”