poor UPnP performance

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Brellyn
New Cone
New Cone

poor UPnP performance

Postby Brellyn » 20 Sep 2015 16:52

When I choose the Local Network option, I can see a few of my NAS servers (Western Digital "Mybooklive") under UPnP (not all of them), but if I try to access any of the movies, I just get artifacts and stuttering sound (iphone 4s). The files are simply DVD's encoded with MakeMKV and stored on a network share. I have no issues from my pc or laptops via smb. Any reason for the performance problem?

sumyungguy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: poor UPnP performance

Postby sumyungguy » 22 Sep 2015 00:28

Fwiw, standard-definition videos play fine from a Serviio UPnP/DLNA server (no transcoding) on my iPhone 4s. 720p plays ok if it's compressed a lot, but stutters a bit if the bitrate is too high. 1080p videos mostly have artifacts and stuttering. I suspect it's the WiFi bandwidth, but don't know really.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: poor UPnP performance

Postby fkuehne » 22 Sep 2015 09:55

Current releases of VLC for iOS perform software decoding, so it is expected that playback is limited to 720p on iPhone 4S. We will add a hardware decoder for H264 in the next major release, which will dramatically improve the performance and should enable playback up to 1080p on this device (within limits of WiFi speed and reliability).
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”