Feature Request

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
My Life Is Tech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Feature Request

Postby My Life Is Tech » 25 May 2015 04:59

Please add the ability to view details about a file, like the built in Android music player does, displaying all metadata info such as filename, song title, artist, composers, album, year, coverart, bitrate, sample rate, audio channels, video resolution/aspect ratio, fps, format/codec information, filesize, etc.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Feature Request

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 May 2015 20:02

You mean, for audio?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

My Life Is Tech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby My Life Is Tech » 26 May 2015 23:11

Audio and video, so basically, for audio files you would see the following info:

Audio:
Filename, song title, artist, album artist, composers, album, track number, year, format/codec information, bitrate, sample rate, audio channels, coverart.

And for video you would see the following information:

Video Portion:
filename, aspect ratio, video resolution, bitrate, frames per second, format/codec information, video coverart(this is the same as audio coverart).

Audio portion:
format/codec information, bitrate, sample rate, audio channels.

Basically, everything MediaInfo on Windows already tells you. And please note that this feature would be in all views including, but not limited to, Directories.

And to view the details, you long tap on a file, and a list will appear with the "Show Details" option.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 May 2015 11:14

You already have partly this for video, no?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

My Life Is Tech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby My Life Is Tech » 27 May 2015 11:19

How so? Could you describe how? I haven't found any apps for Android that will tell us all of this information yet, and it would be great if VLC could have it built-in, that way we wouldn't have to use an external app anyway.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 May 2015 11:26

Video files gives

filename
filepath
Size
Cover Art.
Codec, Language, Resolution, fps for each video track.
Codec, Language, Channels, samplerate for each audio track.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

My Life Is Tech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby My Life Is Tech » 27 May 2015 11:36

Oh yeah, in Video browsing, but not in Directory browsing which is what I always use, I use the Directory browsing more since videos aren't organized by folder in the Video browsing, it makes it a pain to separate shows from movies as all the videos are in the same place. Could it be a possible implemention to add folder browsing to the video browsing? Also, it still doesn't tell you the audio/video bitrate.

But audio files such as music still don't let you access all of that same information by long tapping on the file, it still doesn't give you the year, format/codec, channel, sample rate, and bitrate.

P.S. It would also be beneficial to have marquee text in all menus and browsing modes, as some filename text is too long for the screen.

My Life Is Tech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby My Life Is Tech » 27 May 2015 14:28

Okay, so to sum it all up, long story short, here is a short list of possible features.

1. Add folders to video browsing, with the ability to also have an "All Videos" tab for those who prefer to see all the videos on their device. This will allow for organization of shows and movies.

2. Add bitrate metadata information for audio and video tracks within the video information option, as well as video aspect ratio metadata.

3. Add an information option for audio files like the video file information option, this will display the filename, song title, artist, album, year, track number, audio channels, sample rate, bitrate, and format/codec.

4. Add the show information options in the above 2 and 3 to the Directories browsing as well.

5. Add the function to load coverart and thumbnails from files in the Directories browsing. (This can be enabled or disabled to improve speed)

6. Marquee text for all menus and browsing methods, some filenames are too long for the screen, so the name gets cut off, marquee text will be benificial to correct this.

My apologies if I have sounded rude, rushing, or ungrateful in any of my above posts, it is not my intention to come off that way. I only wish to help make VLC the best free media player available for Android with the best features.

If there were a place in the developement team for people who have many ideas/suggestions for features or improvements, I would love to join. I love VLC and I love the work that has been put into it. I would love to be able to help in any way that I can.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 27 May 2015 17:01

6. Marquee text for all menus and browsing methods, some filenames are too long for the screen, so the name gets cut off, marquee text will be benificial to correct this.
There should be an option in preferences to change this.

My Life Is Tech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby My Life Is Tech » 28 May 2015 01:26

There should be an option in preferences to change this.
Yes, there is and I have it enabled, however it does not work for all text, such as the text in the video browser and the Directory browser. And when you play a song, the artist information is not marquee. Also if you select an album in the audio browser, none of the text is marquee, titles, artists, nothing.

If you want I can provide screenshots.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”