VLC colours are not synced.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Rage Panda
New Cone
New Cone

VLC colours are not synced.

Postby Rage Panda » 22 Apr 2015 14:47

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue since I updated VLC to the latest, the colours seem to be out,

that screenshot is an example, all of my video files worked perfectly but since the new update the colours are out. it doesnt happen on every file.

is there an easy way to fix this? or should i just downgrade my vlc again?

bribri
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC colours are not synced.

Postby bribri » 23 Apr 2015 14:55

I have the same issue since upgrading. It seems to happen when queuing up several video files and playing through the first one, the second one has the colors messed up. This just started happening after upgrading a couple days ago to 2.2.1.

Jindai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jindai » 02 May 2015 07:22

I have been having this problem since the most recent update. First video plays fine, then goes to the next in the playlist, and colors are all over the place. If I stop the video and restart it, it plays fine, then the NEXT one in queue goes wonky. This has happened with mp4s, mkvs, and avis, I haven't tried with other formats, as I have a limited supply of them. But it's very annoying with the files I have now.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 02 May 2015 13:27

We need to open a ticket with logs, short samples and screenshots at https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/
What is your OS?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 May 2015 19:42

This is likely an issue in your video drivers.

Please share more info about your drivers, your GPU, your CPU and so on.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Evasii0n
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Evasii0n » 02 May 2015 20:49

I have this issue using a gtx 960 also had it with a 750ti using the latest drivers from nvidia for gta v. Also had the problem with my igpu from my a8 5600k but it happened less

mdruiter
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows

Postby mdruiter » 03 May 2015 00:16

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 May 2015 14:51

Please share logs.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 05 May 2015 13:44

Windows XP, VLC-2.2.x-32bits with default "DirectX (DirectDraw) video output" module?
Tools > Preferences > Video > Output [Automatic]
During playback: open messages window to check which video output module is loaded
Tools > Messages > Modules Tree tab

Before playback: open messages window, set Verbosity to 2
Tools > Messages > Messages tab: Verbosity: [2 (debug)]
Then play a video, play next ([>>|] button) one with colours issue, stop it, play it, play previous video ([|<<]). Copy and paste the generated logs here with a brief description of behaviour during the test.

Please provide following information so we can discuss and decide what to do:
Windows version
VLC version
GPU
logs

Try to disable Tools > Preferences > Video > [ ] Use hardware YUV->RGB conversions
Then also try different video output modules.

gigaplex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gigaplex » 09 Jun 2015 14:13

I'm new to this forum, so I don't know how to attach a log file. I tried entering the text in this message, but it said it contained too many characters (62262 > 60000). I'm using Windows 8.1 x64, VLC 2.2.1, AMD R9 270X GPU (14.12 drivers).

The first file I played experienced no colour sync issues initially. I hit the skip next button, and the next file had the colour sync issues. I stopped the playback and restarted the second file, the colour sync issue disappeared. I hit the skip previous button, and it played the first file again, this time it did have colour sync issues. The Modules Tree tab didn't mention any video output module, just libvlc -> playlist -> [interface qt4, interface win32, interface hotkeys, audio output directsound].

I disabled the hardware YUV -> RGB conversion option, and was unable to reproduce the colour sync issues.

Edit: I've just reproduced on the integrated Intel graphics on my i5 3570k. Since Evasii0n has seen it on two NVIDIA cards and I've seen it on both my Intel and AMD chips, I think it's safe to say we can rule out graphics driver issues and that the common denominator is the way VLC is calling the hardware YUV -> RGB conversion acceleration.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jul 2015 00:29

Yes, it's reported for 2.2.2.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

JWalkerMR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JWalkerMR » 30 Aug 2015 12:44

I have the same problem with a nVidia Geforce GTX 750 and Windows 7 x64.

But, very strange: when i press CTRL-ALT-DEL while playing a film and then exit this screen, VLC flickers for one moment and then the error has disappeared !

borisattva
New Cone
New Cone

Postby borisattva » 05 May 2016 10:23

But, very strange: when i press CTRL-ALT-DEL while playing a film and then exit this screen, VLC flickers for one moment and then the error has disappeared !
this worked for me, thank you.
although it added a solid green line at the bottom of the video.

idontexist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby idontexist » 01 Jun 2016 22:23

this worked for me, thank you.
although it added a solid green line at the bottom of the video.
Have this exact issue too but only sometimes on some .mkv´s. When I reload that movie a couple of times tho, the problem goes away.

The ctrl-alt-del trick does work too and i also get that green line at the bottom.

I usually use f.lux no idea if that´s related. And the most times I get the vlc problems is when I start a movie directly from a rar file. I don´t have that much harddrive space/ram on this notebook (win8) so maybe thats related.

Another thing that seems to help is removing .srt and .sub files , so that´s a third option. i don´t see an option in vlc to report a bug so not sure how to proceed

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”