Full screen choppiness 2.2.0

macOS specific usage questions
umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Full screen choppiness 2.2.0

Postby umzyi » 28 Feb 2015 01:02

I have installed the latest 2.2.0 update but have found that the full screen animation is very choppy as compared to 2.1.5

Is this broken or meant to be like this now?

I have checked the use native full screen but still no use.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2

Re: Full screen choppiness 2.2.0

Postby kdean » 28 Feb 2015 04:25

I would actually recommend not checking "use native fullscreen mode", especially if you want less or smoother animation. You'll need to restart VLC afterward for the change to take effect.

umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby umzyi » 28 Feb 2015 11:28

I have tried both, checking on and checking off but it is not smooth. My understanding is that once that option is checked, it uses native OS X full screen animation like the other apps. And it has been the case with previous releases. I have installed v 2.1.5 and I can see the smoothness back again.
Lets see what the developer has to say..

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 28 Feb 2015 20:25

Please explain what you mean by choppy.

Please also state which VLC fullscreen mode your are actually referring about, both with VLC 2.1.5 and VLC 2.2. Because with VLC 2.2 we changed the default mode back to VLCs own mode, precisely because its more smooth than the native mode. My suggestion would be to first install VLC 2.2, then reset preferences. Then VLCs own fullscreen mode should work fine.

umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby umzyi » 28 Feb 2015 22:09

Choppy = not smooth

I have tried as you suggested to uninstall all vlc players, install 2.2 and then reset preferences, the full screen animation is NOT smooth at all. I am using retina macbook 15 inch with Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I can see that why it is like this since you have changed the mode back to VLC's on mode and not using native OS X full screen behaviour. But i really prefer the "previous" native OS X full screen animation. That was very smooth!!

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 01 Mar 2015 08:51

The previous native animation did not animate the video at all (in the sense of a "frozen" video for a couple of seconds). Sure, that might be more "smooth", be on the other hand we had a lot of complaints about it.

Please provide VLC logs, so maybe we can get a hint what is wrong with your scenario. VLC's own mode is totally fine here.

umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby umzyi » 12 Mar 2015 20:04

I seriously believe that previously it was much better to use OSX's native full screen behaviour, Just like the other apps. But I am disappointed by the lack of smoothness in new animation.

I am attaching three clips taken:

vlc 2.1.5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn7924hsho9xg ... 5.mov?dl=0
Shows the previous smooth full screen behaviour (it is made through quicktime so have not captured it very smoothly but nevertheless!)

vlc 2.2.0 unchecked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/33mktbe594kzr ... d.mov?dl=0
Shows the full screen behaviours while "use the native full screen mode" is unchecked

vlc 2.2.0 checked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4v2c3dvtvi3c ... d.mov?dl=0
Shows the full screen behaviour while the native full screen mode is checked.

Therefore, you can see that in vlc 2.2.0 the full screen animation is not as smooth as the previous version. I would really like this to be fixed/have the older option please

Thanks

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 13 Mar 2015 07:58

So it looks like it behaves expected. Again, native fullscreen with 2.1.5 had no video animation at all.

Please repeat your experiment not with a maximized window, but with a normal (smaller) window size.
Then you should see in the old version, that the native fullscreen animation takes some time - and you see no video changing in that period of time - especially when it moves to a new space. With 2.2, both animations should be more fluent.

But I agree that with a maximized window, maybe you think its not as fluent - because with 2.1.5 you rarely saw the video not updating in the old version.

umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby umzyi » 13 Mar 2015 09:04

I get what you mean and agree with you on this that in 2.2.0 there is no pause while going to full screen and I do like it better this way. However I have a spent hours to do a fresh install to see a smoother animation but no luck. I still find the full screen animation for 2.20 is not as smooth as the pervious version. What else can I do?

umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby umzyi » 19 Apr 2015 02:05

Ok I have installed the latest update 2.2.1 but the lag in full screen animation still hasn't gone. I have made another screen recording to show you how the animation lags whilst going on cull screen and coming out of it. I have full native full screen option check in preferences. Rest of the applications in Yosemite have no lag but i started seeing this after 2.2.0 update.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/563 ... -55-36.mp4

Are you sure you have tested macbook pro 15 inch with Intel Iris pro graphic, because It could be that macbook with discrete have less or no lag but mine does have it. I have checked on two MacBooks actually, both running Intel Iris pro.

Thanks

umzyi

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 19 Apr 2015 09:02

As I already told you, the behaviour in your video is expected, thus there is also no change in the newest VLC version.

I agree it does not look like 60 fps. But we believe its better than in the old version, where people complained a lot that the video was not animating at all.
You should use the non-native fullscreen mode, if you want the most fluent animation possible. This is the default as well, with VLC 2.2.

umzyi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby umzyi » 20 Apr 2015 20:15

ok, i get what you mean. I agree the the non-native full screen (where vlc does not use a space) is more fluent however I would argue that in the mode, going to full screen is fine, but coming out is very laggy.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”